This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Eastern Orthodoxy

Postby rusmeister » November 24th, 2007, 12:43 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » November 27th, 2007, 5:34 pm

So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » November 27th, 2007, 7:30 pm

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » November 28th, 2007, 6:20 pm

postodave
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » November 29th, 2007, 2:28 am

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby cyranorox » January 11th, 2008, 5:03 am

I'm Orthodox, a convert from academic atheism. P-dave, you are looking at Orthodoxy with protestant categories of thought.

i admit i never thought the protestants might be True; I went with the Catholics for some time, not quite happily. I wanted, as they say, Organized religion, but ended up Orthodox instead.

why? because it is True, although I don't know where to begin in explaining why I see it so. one thread- we do not hold with the so-called atonement, justification by legal fiction, or original sin. that knot of ideas repelled me, and i did not stop searching till i found a better soteriology- Christ the hero, the trampler of death, deceiver of hades, lamb slain before the foundation of the world.

do all you can to get to Lenten services- greek, oca, coptic, whatever - that's the core of the faith. Kallistos Ware is giving a retreat here! Ascencion Greek cathedral, Oakland, calif- in late February - we're attending. Our Gandalf, our Dumbledore - all the wizard we need.
i have a lot to say on this topic - today things are tumbling out... :bogart:
cyranorox
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » January 12th, 2008, 2:30 am

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Tuke » January 13th, 2008, 1:28 am

Last edited by Tuke on January 14th, 2008, 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The 'great golden chain of Concord' has united the whole of Edmund Spenser's world.... Nothing is repressed; nothing is insubordinate. To read him is to grow in mental health." The Allegory Of Love (Faerie Queene)

2 Corinthians IV.17 The Weight of Glory
Tuke
Wardrobian

Postby matdonna » January 14th, 2008, 3:03 am

and it might be misleading to say that the Lenten services are the core of the faith. Holy Week and Pascha would be the main way to experience what the Orthodox think is most important, I think....though it is true that Holy Week & especially Pascha don't have quite the same impact when you haven't experienced the forty day fast beforehand.
matdonna
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » January 14th, 2008, 3:35 am

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » January 14th, 2008, 7:21 am

mitchellmckain

Postby cyranorox » January 14th, 2008, 8:59 pm

Sorry, I was writing too quickly - I meant the Lenten and Paschal cycle of services, through Holy Saturday. i wasn't contrasting Lent to Holy Week. In fact, most Orthodox in my experience miss out on the jewel of it all: the morning service of Holy Saturday, when the church is re-robed from purple to white and we change from sorrow to joy.

As regards Coptic, there is a parish local to me [in Hayward, California] and we have attended services- the theology presented is indistinguishable from canonical Orthodoxy. And, you can get a whiff of the old Pharaonic liturgy: the Evening Light [phos hilaron] hymn is derived from it. It is true that they are not in communion with the OCA or the Greeks, etc , but I think the diffference to a visitor is negligible.

WRT Quakers, it seem to me on no particular authority that they seek the position of the believing Greeks of the OT. In rejecting the sacramental basis of worship, they retreat to the outer courts of the Temple. It's a legitimate place, perhaps, but Christians have been permitted farther in.
cyranorox
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » January 17th, 2008, 9:52 am

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » January 17th, 2008, 8:25 pm

postodave
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » January 18th, 2008, 12:24 am

rusmeister
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy