This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Luke 21,32

Luke 21,32

Postby reveal » October 27th, 2007, 7:46 am

Luke 21,32 You can be sure that some of the people of this generation will still be alive when all of this takes place.

Yesterday I read this and I was wondering what other people think of this verse?
Because for me it's strange. It seems like Jesus promised to return very fast after His ascension.
reveal
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » October 27th, 2007, 1:46 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Adam Linton » November 2nd, 2007, 3:28 am

I think that there's something to be said for believing that the pre-Passion "apocalyptic" narratives of Jesus in Matthew, Mark, and Luke are, at least in some qualified sense, polyvalent.

"The end of the world" there discussed brings together, in the single, particular focus of Christ's immanent Passion, two (and maybe three) things: the Crucifixion, and the Destruction of Jerusalem, and possibly, as well, the end of our present space time continuum (although I'd note that N. T. Wright is very cautious--to say the least--in applying last of these).

The Crucifixion is certainly often seen in Christian theology as a decisive inbreaking/manifestation of ultimate judgment, the End. Notice, in particular, the apocalyptic events in Matthew following Jesus' Death!

If such thinking has any merit, it certainly could reframe the approach to "This generation will see it all."
we have not loosely through silence permitted things to pass away as in a dream
Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Postby warren_piece » November 5th, 2007, 5:17 pm

/me raises his preterist hand
im one of them.
you should be too.
we will assimilate you.
warren_piece
Wardrobian

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy