This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Do you believe in ghosts?

Yes
29%
No
71%

Total votes : 14

Postby Master Pre » November 2nd, 2007, 11:03 pm

I think this would be the correct forums for such a question, but let me explain a bit further to show the "religious" aspect of my topic.

My wife has asked me in the past if I believe in "Ghosts." (By ghosts I mean spirits and such) I have always responded with I do not believe in the existence of ghosts but I do believe that demons exist and can play tricks on the finite mind of man. So are they demons? Are they literal ghosts or lost spirits? Is there no true answer to this question? What biblical verses could be cited in regards to this subject?

So to bring it all back to my topic, I present the following question:

"Veni, Vidi, Vici..."
Master Pre
Wardrobian

Postby Lirenel » November 4th, 2007, 4:21 am

I'm with you on the demons playing tricks. I've always thought demons were fallen angels who try to derail humans from faith in God. People who become enamoured with ghosts and ghost stories might start straying from the God's truth: after all, if you believe that people can become 'ghosts' after they die, then that contradicts the Christian belief that you either go to Heaven with God, or to Hell. Note: enamoured means in this context, an excessive interest in the paranormal and ghosts. I, personally, enjoyed quite a few ghost stories until I realized that they were all basically sad and I hate really sad stories.
The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid? - Psalm 27:1

Member of the 2456317 Club
Lirenel
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » November 4th, 2007, 11:06 pm

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » November 4th, 2007, 11:44 pm

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby chad » November 5th, 2007, 5:59 am

Lewis mentioned having an experience of his wife being present with him some time after her death. The experience seemed to be a big part of Lewis recovering from his loss. That would seem a strange deception of the enemy which leads one to improve their emotional and spiritual well-being.
chad
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » November 5th, 2007, 8:26 am

robsia
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » November 5th, 2007, 5:58 pm

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby Master Pre » November 5th, 2007, 11:43 pm

"Veni, Vidi, Vici..."
Master Pre
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » November 6th, 2007, 8:03 am

robsia
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » November 7th, 2007, 9:39 am

I don't believe in ghosts. But believe in demons far less than ghosts.

However I should explain, however, that this does not mean that I deny that either ghosts or demons exist.

Having had no experience of either, I have no use for them.

I believe in taking responsibility for my own life and so I don't believe in giving any credit to demons. And that is what I mean by not believing in them. It is the same with the devil and Satan. I know that he exists but I give him credit for nothing. I don't believe in him. To assign responsibility or blame for things to the devil or to demons is to give them power, for responsibility and power go hand in hand.

As a topic in a theological discussion I will discuss the role of the devil in the events that led to our current condition, but as a real presence in the world I have nothing to do with him in thought or action.
mitchellmckain

Postby Master Pre » November 7th, 2007, 11:39 pm

An interesting approach. :grin: I'm not into glorifying ghosts or demons either, but I differ slightly with your opinion. It's not as if I have hard evidence that either exist or don't exist, unless their visual abscence in my life is testament to something. In other words it's not as if a demon has grinned me in the face, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I believe this is the point you were trying to make.

Where I differ a bit is while I don't believe in glorifying evil, I don't think completely ignoring it helps either. There again, not that either stance really impacts daily life. :toothy-grin:
"Veni, Vidi, Vici..."
Master Pre
Wardrobian

Postby Robert » November 8th, 2007, 1:18 am

[I am] Freudian Viennese by night, by day [I am] Marxian Muscovite

--Robert Frost--
Robert
Wardrobian

Postby Robert » November 8th, 2007, 1:54 am

[I am] Freudian Viennese by night, by day [I am] Marxian Muscovite

--Robert Frost--
Robert