This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Are The LDS Christian?

Postby The Revanchist » December 10th, 2007, 7:05 am

[quote="aToaster] how could they suffer and die for something that wasn't true?
[/quote]

What I find most compelling about this is that they actually knew the one who claimed to be God.

Today...nobody personally knew the creator of their religion in the flesh. It is a matter of belief, and any belief can create enough loyalty to create those willing to die for it. ie Communism.

Early Muslims were in the same spot. Mohhamed didn't claim to be God. He claimed to be a prophet. The religion is about the one he told about, not about him. If he messed up, his followers could still have their faith. With this, it is do you believe him or not.

However, the Disciples actually knew their God, and in the flesh. He wasnt' speaking of another, he was speaking of himself. If He messed up, then everyone knew he wasn't speaking Truth.

And they still died for Him.

As to the actual topic of the thread, I have looked into the issue some. A dear friend of mine was Mormon. They lost me when they said Jesus wasn't divine, and Satan was his brother.

All new revelation must be matched against the old (Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today, and forever). What I've seen of Mormonism doesn't match up.
The Revanchist
Wardrobian

Postby aeryck » December 10th, 2007, 10:17 am

aeryck

Re: Are The LDS Christian?

Postby salanor » December 10th, 2007, 11:37 am

salanor
Wardrobian

Postby salanor » December 10th, 2007, 12:00 pm

salanor
Wardrobian

Re: Are The LDS Christian?

Postby Leslie » December 10th, 2007, 1:54 pm

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Adam » December 10th, 2007, 2:24 pm

"Love is the only art that poorly imitates nature."
Adam
Wardrobian

Postby Jservic2 » December 11th, 2007, 10:49 pm

Why ask the question?

Seriously is it our responsibility to go point out who is a Christian and who is not? I think any one who professes to be a Christian must be considered one. This may seem ridiculous, but i am not telling you to buy into their philosophy or even believe any thing they say. But do not damn them to hell because of a difference of belief. It is not our responsibility. I do think that the question "Are the LDS acting Biblically?", to be a perfectly legitimate question, and I am sure people have already pointed out some major differences.

Having to point out who is saved or not is a game I will not playing. I think that is up to God alone. Other than that, pay more credence to people who show the fruit of the spirit.
Jservic2
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » December 17th, 2007, 5:15 pm

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby Adam » December 17th, 2007, 5:45 pm

Adam
Wardrobian

Postby Jservic2 » December 21st, 2007, 1:55 am

Jservic2
Wardrobian

Postby Adam » December 21st, 2007, 4:14 am

Adam
Wardrobian

My personal experience with LDS

Postby MotherLodeBeth » December 22nd, 2007, 2:47 am

In the late 70's I was lost/adrift and discovered my birth Dad had been raised by LDS Aunt/Uncle in Utah so I started to attend the local ward and then became an LDS but left after a couple of years when I studied and realized the teachings don't match up with Biblical Christianity. I also do NOT believe anything Christian is secret, yet activities in the Temples is restricted to a few, who tithe, and give a certain amount of time to the church.

They have also concocted 'Jewish' things, which are not Jewish but they claim are. Coming from a community of Orthodox, Conservative Jews I know. They also baptize the dead which is unbiblical. And the Bible was a reference book, while the Book of Mormon was the main book that was used daily/weekly. So much was hidden from me, until I joined and the slowly things started coming out and red flags flew up.

The LDS are excellent when it comes to taking care of their own and they also have strong morals when it comes to marriage and family. This is something Christian churches could learn a thing or two from.
:~:Am very much like Lucy in that I
am plain but trust the Lord with all
my heart:~:
MotherLodeBeth
Wardrobian

Re: My personal experience with LDS

Postby john » December 22nd, 2007, 2:59 am

Just to clarify something. The LDS do use the Bible regularly. They also don't "baptize the dead". They baptize living people who represent the dead. :)
john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby Tuke » December 22nd, 2007, 4:27 am

Last edited by Tuke on December 22nd, 2007, 5:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
"The 'great golden chain of Concord' has united the whole of Edmund Spenser's world.... Nothing is repressed; nothing is insubordinate. To read him is to grow in mental health." The Allegory Of Love (Faerie Queene)

2 Corinthians IV.17 The Weight of Glory
Tuke
Wardrobian

Re: My personal experience with LDS

Postby Tuke » December 22nd, 2007, 4:53 am

"The 'great golden chain of Concord' has united the whole of Edmund Spenser's world.... Nothing is repressed; nothing is insubordinate. To read him is to grow in mental health." The Allegory Of Love (Faerie Queene)

2 Corinthians IV.17 The Weight of Glory
Tuke
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy