This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Naughty vs. Nice businesses

Naughty vs. Nice businesses

Postby Dan65802 » November 15th, 2007, 3:07 pm

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby john » November 15th, 2007, 3:29 pm

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » November 15th, 2007, 3:36 pm

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby john » November 15th, 2007, 3:45 pm

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby galion » November 15th, 2007, 4:21 pm

galion
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » November 15th, 2007, 4:28 pm

I could almost be for the stores that don't use the word Christmas, simply because it avoids having the word and the idea be associated with a way to get us to buy something we don't need. But of course I realize that is the last thing on their minds in a decision not to use the word -- it is a PC effort pure and simple. But even then, only because PC sells (unless well-intentioned, but probably misguided boycotts interfere with the consensus).

Myself, I can't help thinking, rather condescendingly I have to admit, "those poor non-Christians -- their constitutions are so weak and fragile that we daren't upset their delicate convictions and easily excited emotions by confronting them with that Very Ferocious and Threatening word 'Christmas' very many times in December or they might very well become downcast and feel put-upon, and we wouldn't want to subject them to that sort of torture would we?"

Do you suppose it would be ok for me as a Chri...er, I mean, one of those religious types, to purchase one of those nine-branched candle holders that some of those other religious types use around this time of year? Maybe I could call it a "seasonal multi-flame lighting unit". They look pretty cool, and might be pretty decorative. Buuut...I don't know -- someone might see it and be offended. Better not risk it, I guess. Let the easily-offended ones live in their own narrow, comfortable view of a world that doesn't confront them with ideas foreign to that media-dictated, generic, PC, grey, bland world, I say.

Whew! Sorry about that. I had to get an oversupply of sarcasm washed out of my system before Advent starts:-),
--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby galion » November 15th, 2007, 4:43 pm

We've had problems with this recently in the UK, mainly from local governement bodies who assert that celebrating "Christmas" would be unacceptable to members of Other Faiths (i.e. Muslims), despite vigorous assurances from Muslims that they are happy to celebrate Christmas in a secular way (like most people). Such sensitivity, of course, was never shown to Jews over Chanukkah.
galion
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » November 15th, 2007, 6:37 pm

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » November 15th, 2007, 6:38 pm

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » November 15th, 2007, 7:04 pm

Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby galion » November 15th, 2007, 7:43 pm

galion
Wardrobian

Postby Pine_Tree » November 15th, 2007, 8:51 pm

Pine_Tree
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » November 15th, 2007, 8:53 pm

Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby galion » November 15th, 2007, 9:00 pm

galion
Wardrobian

Postby Pine_Tree » November 15th, 2007, 9:22 pm

Pine_Tree
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy