This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Naughty vs. Nice businesses

Postby Kolbitar » December 22nd, 2007, 1:24 pm

Hi Rose. Sorry my response took longer than I thought.

::So where does that leave us? What idea existed that was superior to our own?

I think Chesterton’s point has to do with the development of ideas—what ideas existed then that grew up or have the potential to grow because the Church highlights them in it’s very existence and secures them as something more than a fad?

In a fictional dialogue by Chesterton (from The Ball And The Cross), a Catholic responds to an atheist:

[T]here are only two things that really progress; and they both accept the accumulations of authority… they have steadily increased in certain definable manners; they have steadily advanced in a certain definable direction; they are the only two things, it seems, that ever can progress. The first is strictly physical science. The second is the Catholic Church… I say that if you want an example of anything which has progressed in the moral world by the same method as science in the material world, by continually adding to without unsettling what was there before, then I say that there is only one example of it… [a]nd that is Us… Catholic virtue is often invisible because it is the normal… It keeps the key of permanent virtue… if you really want to know what we mean when we say that Christianity has a special power of virtue, I will tell you. The Church is the only thing on earth that can perpetuate a type of virtue and make it something more than a fashion.

Whether or not you agree with this view, this is where Chesterton’s coming from; it’s key to understanding his approach.

::I understand you to be interpreting Chesterton as saying this: a society that holds general theories in high regard--that is, views of the universe in high regard--has a better chance for true progress than a society that does not hold general theories in high regard; even if the former abuses its view of the universe or uses the wrong means to pursue it.

I’d say in general that Chesterton sees that what is good about our society now was budding in the Middle Ages, and that, though certain good things have blossomed, certain other things that were budding, or were yet to sprout, have not.

You see, from Chesterton’s point of view it’s not just the fact that they of the Middle Ages believed in a version of absolute truth; it’s that they believed in *the* absolute truth—the only version, the real deal. Yet it’s also more than that; it’s not just that they believed in *the* absolute truth, but that they carried the motive to develop it…

A little while before the Norman Conquest, countries such as our own were a dust of yet feeble feudalism, continually scattered in eddies by barbarians, barbarians who had never ridden a horse. There was hardly a brick or stone house in England. There were scarcely any roads except beaten paths: there was practically no law except local customs. Those were the Dark Ages out of which the Middle Ages came. Take the Middle Ages two hundred years after the Norman Conquest and nearly as long before the beginnings of the Reformation. The great cities have arisen; the burghers are privileged and important; Labour has been organised into free and responsible Trade Unions; the Parliaments are powerful and disputing with the princes; slavery has almost disappeared; the great Universities are open and teaching with the scheme of education that Huxley so much admired; Republics as proud and civic as the Republics of the pagans stand like marble statues along the Mediterranean; and all over the North men have built such churches as men may never build again. And this, the essential part of which was done in one century rather than two, is what the critic calls "little social or political advance." There is scarcely an important modern institution under which he lives, from the college that trained him to the Parliament that rules him, that did not make its main advance in that time. --From Getting to Know the Middle Ages, by Chesterton: http://www.chesterton.org/gkc/historian/middleages.html
The man who lives in contact with what he believes to be a living Church is a man always expecting to meet Plato and Shakespeare tomorrow at breakfast. He is always expecting to see some truth that he has never seen before. --Chesterton

Sober Inebriation: http://soberinebriationblog.blogspot.com/
Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » January 3rd, 2008, 2:11 am

Last edited by JRosemary on January 3rd, 2008, 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » January 3rd, 2008, 4:04 am

This was supposed to be an edit to my last post, but here goes:

Edit: Well, here's another big difference between me and Chesterton. Chesterton, apparently, spoke much about a 'Jewish problem.' While he doesn't seem, to me, to have been a raving Mel Gibson-type antisemite (or much of an antisemite at all, really), he apparently didn't want Jews around him. He was, therefore, quite keen on Zionism.

(I've seen that sort of Zionism before--'for heaven's sake, let's not have them here! It will be best for everyone if they have their own country...)

But, speaking for myself, I'm an American, not an Israeli. I look forward to visiting Israel and staying with friends there, but I don't want to live there. And I have Jewish acquaintences in England who feel the same way. They're British, not Israeli.

I wonder if Chesterton thought the expulsion of Jews from England for centuries was a positive thing? The man had Jewish friends, so I certainly hope not. I think England would be poorer without its Jews--and so would all of Europe and America.
Last edited by JRosemary on January 3rd, 2008, 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » January 3rd, 2008, 4:40 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » January 3rd, 2008, 4:51 am

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby Coyote Goodfellow » January 3rd, 2008, 11:23 am

"I don't care if it is wrong," said one of the moles. "I'd do it again."
"Hush, hush" said the other animals.
Coyote Goodfellow
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » January 4th, 2008, 5:40 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Coyote Goodfellow » January 4th, 2008, 12:30 pm

"I don't care if it is wrong," said one of the moles. "I'd do it again."
"Hush, hush" said the other animals.
Coyote Goodfellow
Wardrobian

Gil, what were you thinking?

Postby alecto » January 4th, 2008, 8:54 pm

Sentio ergo est.
alecto
Wardrobian

Postby galion » January 5th, 2008, 10:55 am

galion
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » January 5th, 2008, 1:11 pm

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Re: Gil, what were you thinking?

Postby rusmeister » January 5th, 2008, 1:36 pm

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Pluralism and Truth in the modern age

Postby surprisedbyjoy » January 5th, 2008, 6:36 pm

Want to bury your Beanie Babies? Visit:
http://beaniemortuary.tripod.com/

"Surprised by joy--impatient as the Wind."
-Wordsworth
surprisedbyjoy
Wardrobian

Re: Pluralism and Truth in the modern age

Postby rusmeister » January 6th, 2008, 2:41 am

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Re: Pluralism and Truth in the modern age

Postby surprisedbyjoy » January 6th, 2008, 4:44 am

Last edited by surprisedbyjoy on January 6th, 2008, 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Want to bury your Beanie Babies? Visit:
http://beaniemortuary.tripod.com/

"Surprised by joy--impatient as the Wind."
-Wordsworth
surprisedbyjoy
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy