This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Opening the Covenant: A Jewish Theology of Christianity

Opening the Covenant: A Jewish Theology of Christianity

Postby JRosemary » November 26th, 2007, 3:19 am

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » November 30th, 2007, 5:20 pm

It sounds very interesting but a bit pricy for me. A few years ago a friend sent me a copy of this: I find it very helpful particularly when he looks at some of the ways Christians misread the New Teatament. I wonder what you make of that. My own view is that he has borrowed a little too much from the Christian dispensationalists like Hal Lindsay.
So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » November 30th, 2007, 9:21 pm

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » December 3rd, 2007, 5:10 pm

postodave
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » December 3rd, 2007, 5:37 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » December 4th, 2007, 10:46 am

There were some hasids involved. He was taught that there are 613 laws so each person in each life learns to keep a maximum of 1 law, hence each person lives a minimum of 613 lives. But he didn't study kabalah. I was pointing out recently the similarities between the Orthodox distinction between essence and energies and kabalistic distinction between ein sof and sefirof and he said that he never studied Jewish mysticism at all. The trouble is there are so many different kinds of kabalah (and indeed so many different spellings of it) and of Judaism that it's hard to keep track.

The thing about the continuity with Greek culture didn't convince me. I think it is true that the Western Church from Jerome onwards has been more interested in going back to the Hebrew scriptures. Hence protestants see the original Hebrew as being authoritative whereas the Eastern Church favours the Septaguint while bizarly the RCs, in the past at least, favoured Jerome's latin. Calvin of course was accused of Judaising because he insisted on trying to discern the intentions of the original authors.
postodave
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » December 4th, 2007, 12:40 pm

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » December 4th, 2007, 6:26 pm

postodave
Wardrobian

Jewish theology of Christianity

Postby Tuke » December 4th, 2007, 9:48 pm

Since their first release I have found Bob Dylan's two gospel albums, Slow Train Comin' & Saved, to be profoundly genuine testaments of my own born again experience. If memory serves, Dylan was attending Bible studies during that period of creativity with the Christian rock musicians Larry Norman and Keith Green. Apparently Dylan no longer performs these beautiful songs which I consider to be his best. From what little information I have Dylan is now more Jewish than Messianic.
"The 'great golden chain of Concord' has united the whole of Edmund Spenser's world.... Nothing is repressed; nothing is insubordinate. To read him is to grow in mental health." The Allegory Of Love (Faerie Queene)

2 Corinthians IV.17 The Weight of Glory
Tuke
Wardrobian

Postby Jservic2 » December 11th, 2007, 11:28 pm

Jservic2
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » December 13th, 2007, 5:16 am

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby Jservic2 » December 13th, 2007, 5:32 am

Jservic2
Wardrobian

Postby wigworld » January 27th, 2008, 5:26 pm

wigworld
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » January 27th, 2008, 9:26 pm

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby Tuke » January 28th, 2008, 11:20 am

"The 'great golden chain of Concord' has united the whole of Edmund Spenser's world.... Nothing is repressed; nothing is insubordinate. To read him is to grow in mental health." The Allegory Of Love (Faerie Queene)

2 Corinthians IV.17 The Weight of Glory
Tuke
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy