This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The Word of God

The Word of God

Postby Stanley Anderson » November 28th, 2007, 2:20 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » November 29th, 2007, 2:39 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » November 29th, 2007, 4:35 am

My comment about dogma, as I'm sure is probably quite apparent, is I think very much influenced by Chesterton in general. And What's Wrong with the World is certainly one of my longtime favourites amongst many. Like Lewis, it is hard to pick an all-time top Chesterton favourite. But it may be time to pull WWwtW back down off the shelf and read it again soon.

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » November 29th, 2007, 4:52 am

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Ben2747 » November 29th, 2007, 4:12 pm

Ben2747
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » November 29th, 2007, 4:28 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Ben2747 » November 29th, 2007, 7:58 pm

Ben2747
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » November 29th, 2007, 11:11 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Ben2747 » November 30th, 2007, 1:41 am

Ben2747
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » November 30th, 2007, 1:43 am

Though I think the Gunpowder Plot was a lousy idea (on any number of levels) I have a great deal of sympathy for the closet Catholics and undercover priests of Elizabethian and post-Elizabethian England. A friend loaned me God's Secret Agents: Queen Elizabeth's Forbidden Priests and the Hatching of the Gunpowder Plot.

The book is by Alice Hogge. It's about the war between Elizabeth and Catholicism--and the English Catholics who kept up their faith with the help of priests who were educated on the continent and smuggled back into England. And it's about how this 'war' led up to the Gunpowder Plot. It looks good: it's the next history book on my list :smile:
JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby Ben2747 » November 30th, 2007, 6:35 pm

Ben2747
Wardrobian

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy