This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The Senate Finance Committee Hoopla

The Senate Finance Committee Hoopla

Postby girlfreddy » December 6th, 2007, 3:51 am

So I'm assuming that many of you have heard the whole thing about the US Senate Finance Committee's request to six major televangelists to give up their financial records. Of the six only one has complied so far and the other five seem to be headed to non-compliance. What I was wondering was how you feel about this. Is it a dangerous area for the Senate Finance to step into or are they justified? Should it be left up to the IRS or should the televangelists comply with the requests?
How would telling people to be nice to one another get a man crucified? What government would execute Mister Rogers or Captain Kangaroo?
Philip Yancey

http://girlfreddy.wordpress.com/
girlfreddy
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » December 7th, 2007, 6:49 pm

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby girlfreddy » December 7th, 2007, 11:11 pm

How would telling people to be nice to one another get a man crucified? What government would execute Mister Rogers or Captain Kangaroo?
Philip Yancey

girlfreddy
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » December 7th, 2007, 11:20 pm

I think it's precisely those who aren't rich but would like to be who flock to them....
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

By all means investigate them...

Postby MotherLodeBeth » December 8th, 2007, 4:29 am

MotherLodeBeth
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » December 19th, 2007, 2:03 pm

After watching articles on CBN news about this I got the impression the Finance Comittee was acting out of the duristiction to investigate this, and that the ministries have every right to not comply? Also, I think if they have to, they will, and it will be shown that they have not misused their donations.

Also, I must admit, I don't understand why your harsh criticisms, as I've watched a couple of these ministries - particularly Kenneth Copeland Ministries, and I can't see anything abhorant about his ministry. Perhaps slightly "controversial" at times, but the Gospel is controversial.
Member of The 2456317 Club

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » December 19th, 2007, 3:07 pm

My use of the word abhorent is related to the Positive Confession, Word of Faith, health, wealth and prosperity doctrines taught by many of these ministries. My experience has been these doctrines take away from the spreading of the gospel of Truth.

- Dan -
"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby girlfreddy » December 19th, 2007, 3:22 pm

Philip Yancey

girlfreddy
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » December 19th, 2007, 11:25 pm

No, but He did heal all who came to Him for healing though. :smile: And He did say "Ask and you will receive, seek and you will find..." as these ministries emphasise. To be honest, it really does seem to me people are too critical of these ministries too readily. But anyway, that's only my opinion.

Pete
Wardrobian

Not ALL televangelist's are questionable

Postby MotherLodeBeth » December 20th, 2007, 2:58 am

MotherLodeBeth
Wardrobian

Re: Not ALL televangelist's are questionable

Postby Dan65802 » December 20th, 2007, 2:10 pm

Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » December 20th, 2007, 2:12 pm

Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby girlfreddy » December 20th, 2007, 2:44 pm

Philip Yancey

girlfreddy
Wardrobian

Re: Not ALL televangelist's are questionable

Postby MotherLodeBeth » December 20th, 2007, 6:10 pm

MotherLodeBeth
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » December 20th, 2007, 11:30 pm

Pete
Wardrobian