This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Are you ready for another reformation?

Postby Adam » December 29th, 2007, 12:04 am

"Love is the only art that poorly imitates nature."
Adam
Wardrobian

Postby salanor » December 29th, 2007, 12:25 am

salanor
Wardrobian

Postby Adam » December 29th, 2007, 12:38 am

Adam
Wardrobian

Postby salanor » December 29th, 2007, 12:48 am

salanor
Wardrobian

Postby salanor » December 29th, 2007, 1:01 am

Last edited by salanor on December 29th, 2007, 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
salanor
Wardrobian

Postby Adam » December 29th, 2007, 1:04 am

Adam
Wardrobian

Postby Adam » December 29th, 2007, 1:14 am

::Your allegory simply means "read whatever you like into the text".

That is exactly what people like Falwell always say to we allegorists.

:Cultural sensitivities aside, the import of the story is fairly plain. A jealous God demands a level of sacrifice and loyalty that is akin to dictators that we abhor.

I don't get it. It is clear from both early Judaic and early Christian commentaries on the story of Sodom and Gommorah that it is a story about how God cares for how we treat strangers: be good to them, for you were once strangers in the land of Egypt. In sharp contrast to much of the Ancient Near East, the God of the Hebrews shows remarkably early development of great concern for how his followers treat one another (many ancient near east creation stories are allegories for sacrifices and offerings made to the gods; the two Hebrew creation stories are allegories for marriage and the sabbath, respectively. many ancient near east priestly laws are instructions for sacrifices and offerings made to the gods; while the Hebrew certainly includes this, much of God's instruction pertains to community life).

What that has to do with you ongoing comparison of God to Hitler, I do not know.

::This has nothing to with taking a childish lesson from the text, as in Grimm. It is applying adult ethics to an idea, no matter how beautifully presented, is abhorrent. It is your unwillingness to express a similar disgust that leads me to suspect you like the idea (regardless of how you got that idea). In my books that means you believe in the principles of a totalitarian state.

I did not say childish, I said moral, as opposed to allegorical. If you derive conclusions from the story about how women are to be treated, you are reading it too physically; like most Biblical literalist Christians, you think that every description in the Scripture is actually a prescription: another mark of the Falwell approach.

I have disgust for totalitarian states, but I don't see the parallel to the Jewish God, so I will not have disgust for Him just because you, by some weird stretch of logic, have equated the two. The difference between this disagreement and simply being a closet brown-shirt seems obvious.

Adam
Adam
Wardrobian

Postby salanor » December 29th, 2007, 1:44 am

salanor
Wardrobian

Postby Adam » December 29th, 2007, 2:07 am

Adam
Wardrobian

Postby salanor » December 29th, 2007, 2:13 am

salanor
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » December 29th, 2007, 10:23 am

mitchellmckain

Postby Coyote Goodfellow » December 29th, 2007, 1:19 pm

"I don't care if it is wrong," said one of the moles. "I'd do it again."
"Hush, hush" said the other animals.
Coyote Goodfellow
Wardrobian

Postby Coyote Goodfellow » December 29th, 2007, 2:07 pm

"I don't care if it is wrong," said one of the moles. "I'd do it again."
"Hush, hush" said the other animals.
Coyote Goodfellow
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » December 29th, 2007, 5:26 pm

member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby salanor » December 30th, 2007, 12:56 am

salanor
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy