This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Spe Salvi -- The Pope's encyclical on Hope

Spe Salvi -- The Pope's encyclical on Hope

Postby Stanley Anderson » December 10th, 2007, 5:04 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Don't give up on us, Stanley!

Postby pb » January 1st, 2008, 12:54 pm

Happy New Year,
Having a few days vacation I hope to get back to you on this, but I want to try reading it in the original German first. :read:

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/bened ... vi_ge.html

bis hoffentlich bald,
+pb
pb
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » January 1st, 2008, 4:04 pm

I'm looking forward to anything you might have to say!

I'll quickly mention that I notice I left off a comment in my previous post. I had meant to connect my ending comments and quote from the Pope to the earlier comment and example about the artist who simply must create apart from any degree of certainty of success or ability. The artist's drive to create is, I think, not unlike what the Pope describes as the life-changing aspect of hope -- ie, it is not just informative, but performative.

Also, although this is probably material better left for a post on a later portion of the encyclical, as I finished reading it, I was fascinated to find that he makes some comments toward the end very much seemingly in line with my comments about the desire aspect of Scriptural Hope.

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy