This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Question on Christ in Revelation?

Question on Christ in Revelation?

Postby Arjy » December 30th, 2007, 1:55 am

Arjy
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » December 30th, 2007, 2:40 am

What passage in Revelation are you referring to exactly?

Jesus is God, so He wouldn't be "under" Himself. They are one and the same. One way to help our little minds understand the concept of the Trinity is to think of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit as different manifestations or personalities of the aspects and characteristics of One God. That doesn't make one Person of the Trinity inferior to another; They are the same Person.

Jesus many times refers to the Father as though He (Jesus) were submitting to Him in order to give us an example of submission.
When He was on earth, Jesus prayed to the Father to give us an example of prayer, to teach us how to pray, (and I suppose to commune with Himself).

Phil. 2:8 does say that Christ was "obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. Wherefore God also hath highly exalted Him..."
So that tells us that Christ was obedient to His own demands as the Judge of this world and as the Savior of the world He condemns.
Earlier in that passage in verse 6 it says that Christ "thought it not robbery to be equal with God." Jesus left no doubts about Who He was- the Equal of God, God Himself.

Hope this is helpful!
God Bless!
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Arjy » December 30th, 2007, 8:12 am

Arjy
Wardrobian

Postby Tuke » December 30th, 2007, 10:22 pm

Yes, Jesus is the Son of God, but He is also the Son of man. John XIV says the Father is greater than the Son, so apparently greater is not an inequality. The Son of man learned obedience by the things which He suffered. And, I don't question that His temptation was real in every sense. Hebrews IV.15 and V.8
Although I won't disagree with A#'s statement, I think we must read I Corinthians XV (especially verse 28) to better understand the Son's rule and relation to the Father.

On a related note of recent interest to me: The Book of Revelation is a blessing to be wrestled. Though probably never to be mastered, it is well worth the effort to grasp. The idol of my youth, John Lennon, boldly proclaimed on his first solo album "I found out - there ain't no Jesus gonna come from the sky." This was one of his rashest statements among many. He was contradicting Ezekiel as well as Revelation. On another song, God, of that same album Lennon says he doesn't believe in the Bible or Jesus. After thirty seven years I had forgotten these statements are even clearer, probably more detrimental, than his popular anti-religion anthem Imagine or his comment forty one years ago that the Beatles are more popular than Jesus.
"The 'great golden chain of Concord' has united the whole of Edmund Spenser's world.... Nothing is repressed; nothing is insubordinate. To read him is to grow in mental health." The Allegory Of Love (Faerie Queene)

2 Corinthians IV.17 The Weight of Glory
Tuke
Wardrobian

Postby Adam Linton » January 1st, 2008, 12:36 am

It might be helpful to keep in mind that according to classic Christian understanding, Jesus is both fully God and fully human; consubstantial with both God the Father and with us--in one incarnate Person. In accordance with St. Paul, we understand Jesus as the new, perfect, and second Adam. Thus, he contains within himself, the true and intended relationship of humankind with God.

Jesus is, therefore, able truly to say to the Father (in perfect integrity, unlike the primal Adam, in which we are all included), "My God." In Christ, through Christ, we are now able to make this same confession.
we have not loosely through silence permitted things to pass away as in a dream
Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » January 1st, 2008, 12:44 am

Moved to RSP forum.
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy