This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The (natural) immortality of the soul.

83%
17%
No votes
No votes

Total votes : 6

The (natural) immortality of the soul.

Postby mitchellmckain » January 8th, 2008, 10:29 am

mitchellmckain

Postby Leslie » January 8th, 2008, 6:15 pm

Is there perhaps some confusion between resurrection and judgement? In my understanding, everyone has to be resurrected, and then face judgement. A resurrected soul may find itself permanently cut off from God, depending on the outcome of judgement. So I don't think believing that the soul dies and is resurrected along with the body necessarily entails universalism (although it may be true that Polkinghorne is a universalist; I have no information on this point).

I don't believe in soul-body dualism. I am one being, and all of my being will die one day. And since my physical manifestation (i.e. my body) is not static matter, what is resurrected is not a specific set of molecules, but a pattern, the mental/spiritual and physical pattern that is me. The pattern will be reconstituted in matter of some sort, and also in a spiritual dimension. And at some point after the resurrection (God willing) that pattern will be perfected, and all its flaws removed.

So, if you like, it is the pattern that survives death. Between death and resurrection, the pattern exists only in the mind of God. And the resurrection is his new creation of beings according to those patterns.
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » January 8th, 2008, 7:38 pm

mitchellmckain

Postby Leslie » January 9th, 2008, 3:50 am

Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » January 9th, 2008, 8:38 am

mitchellmckain

Postby Leslie » January 10th, 2008, 12:58 am

Leslie
Wardrobian

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy