This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Christians and Environmental & Poverty (political) issue

36%
No votes
55%
No votes
No votes
9%

Total votes : 11

Christians and Environmental & Poverty (political) issue

Postby Pete » February 8th, 2008, 12:29 pm

Member of The 2456317 Club

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » February 8th, 2008, 6:38 pm

I agree with you Pete and highly recommend God's Politics. Although I don't agree with everything Wallace wrote in the book, it was both challenging and exciting to read.

- Dan -
"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » February 9th, 2008, 1:47 am

I just want to point out that just because I am Christian and consider the marriage and abortion issues important (especially compared to poverty and environment) does not mean that I take the extreme right-wing stand on these issues. I will favor a Candidate who is interested in modifying Roe vs. Wade (the 24 week deadline for abortion) in favor of something like a 12 week deadline, HOWEVER I will NOT vote for a candidate with an uncompromising stand on this issue (no abortion at all), whereas I WOULD vote for a candidate who will do nothing at all in regards to the abortion issue. My attitude with regards to the marriage issue is similar. I am a moderate or classical liberal who would seek to preserve the cultural and religious diversity of western society putting the integrity of religious freedom first. I will NOT support the imposition of personal (peculiar) moral commitments of some group on the rest of society, no matter how strongly they feel about it.

However the choice of "poverty" and environment as something to compare these other issues to is rather peculiar. For these are issues which the left wing tends to go overboard and irrational on as well. Poverty is of great concern but the controversy is in regards to how this is addressed, and in my view that is through the governments proper role of shepherding the economy, and this has always been my #1 voting issue. This is for example the reason I chose Regan over Carter (athough I would have prefered Jack Kemp), but it is also the reason I chose Al Gore over Bush Jr. It is the reason that my favorite candidate in the current contest is Giuliani, and I would also have voted for Gore if he was in the running.

Another big issue for me is gun control and this is the reason that I will not vote for McCain under any conditions at all. So at this point I am left with Hillary, who I like for her position in favor of the stimulation of research and development, even if I am not so excited by anything else. One delightful thing about this election will be that one of the two candidate will most certainly be a woman or a "black" American. It will be an interesting test to see how many Americans can put such ridiculous prejudices behind them. I might have prefered that dunderhead (best agreement with me on the issues though) Romney and certainly Giuliani, but I will NOT vote for McCain, so it is Hillary or Obama that will get my vote.
Last edited by mitchellmckain on February 10th, 2008, 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
mitchellmckain

Postby Guest » February 9th, 2008, 12:46 pm

Don Giovanni is running for president? I would think his history of womanizing would have been to big a skeleton in his closet.

- Dan -

Postby Karen » February 9th, 2008, 1:08 pm

*snort*
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » February 9th, 2008, 8:38 pm

mitchellmckain

Postby Karen » February 9th, 2008, 9:37 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » February 10th, 2008, 12:04 am

mitchellmckain

Re: Christians and Environmental & Poverty (political) i

Postby alecto » February 10th, 2008, 4:35 am

Sentio ergo est.
alecto
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » February 10th, 2008, 5:43 am

Last edited by mitchellmckain on February 10th, 2008, 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
mitchellmckain

Postby Pete » February 10th, 2008, 5:59 am

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » February 15th, 2008, 6:55 am

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » February 15th, 2008, 7:03 am

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » February 20th, 2008, 11:52 am

A positive story about the Democrats and abortion: http://dispatch.thirdway.org/articles/2 ... as-its-day

Also http://www.cbn.com/CBNnews/324917.aspx, a well balanced blog/article by David Brody about "Pro-Lifers" heckling at a Bill Clinton speech. I agree with the sentiment of what David Brody is saying...and parts of what Bill Clinton is saying, I'd describe myself as Pro-Life however that does not mean I believe women who have abortions should go to jail, but at the same time, perhaps one way of dealing with this would be to encourage adoption much more strongly...?

Pete
Wardrobian

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy