This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Christians are wrong about heaven

Christians are wrong about heaven

Postby Karen » February 8th, 2008, 1:11 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby galion » February 8th, 2008, 1:47 pm

This is set out more fully (and in most learned wise) in NTW's "The Resurrection of the Son of God" (SPCK, 2003).
galion
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » February 8th, 2008, 2:06 pm

Yes it is. But I thought it was said very concisely and well here. It's great to see Wright in a such a mainstream magazine!
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby galion » February 8th, 2008, 2:51 pm

galion
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » February 8th, 2008, 6:33 pm

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » February 8th, 2008, 7:09 pm

Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » February 8th, 2008, 7:31 pm

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » February 8th, 2008, 8:38 pm

Karen
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » February 8th, 2008, 11:34 pm

So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Postby girlfreddy » February 8th, 2008, 11:34 pm

How would telling people to be nice to one another get a man crucified? What government would execute Mister Rogers or Captain Kangaroo?
Philip Yancey

http://girlfreddy.wordpress.com/
girlfreddy
Wardrobian

Re: Christians are wrong about heaven

Postby mitchellmckain » February 9th, 2008, 6:55 am

mitchellmckain

Postby Leslie » February 9th, 2008, 6:45 pm

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » February 11th, 2008, 10:40 pm

I've been holding back on this for a while because I've done a lot of arguing with Mitch recently. I was hoping someone else might pick up on this. Mitch, I suspect you've misunderstood Wright. Just to be clear when he talks of the intermediate state (and I think this is an Anglican term, because Anglo-Catholics tend to identify it with purgatory, though evangelical Anglicans don't) he is not talking of a state in which people are unconscious, nor is he talking about a kind of zip from death to the resurrection at the end of history. Rather he is talking about a state in which people are conscious in some way and with God but without embodiment. Now it seems to me that this view has the great advantage of allowing for both the resurrection of the dead and the communion of saints. You can't have communion with someone who isn't conscious and you can't, at least in Jewish thought, have a resurrection without a body. If the people who wrote the Nicene creed had meant simply to say that they believed in survival after death they could have done that but instead they chose to drag into Greek and Roman culture all this talk of resurrection. In other words I think this view or something very much like it is the orthodox view and has been for centuries.

I'm told the best recent text on this is John Cooper's Body, Soul, and Life Everlasting: Biblical Anthropology and the Monism-Dualism Debate.
Though I can't say I've read it. Historically the classic book on this idea was The Christian Doctrine of Man by H Wheeler Robinson. That begins by looking at Old Testament views of man and works through history from there. It's greatest weakness is that it ignores the understanding of man in Eastern Christianity though you can supplement that by reading the relevant chapter in Lossky's Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church.
So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » February 12th, 2008, 4:11 am

mitchellmckain

Postby Ben2747 » February 12th, 2008, 3:46 pm

Ben2747
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy