This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Expelled

Postby Jservic2 » May 5th, 2008, 1:19 am

Jservic2
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » May 5th, 2008, 3:16 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Jservic2 » May 5th, 2008, 3:17 am

Jservic2
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » May 5th, 2008, 7:56 am

mitchellmckain

Postby rusmeister » May 5th, 2008, 9:44 am

I've kind of said it before, but feel it's worth repeating/clarifying. I'm fully ready to admit that the scientific approach of IDer's is whacko, but I won't take sides on that. What I DO think important that they are absolutely right about (as I know through personal experience) is that US academia, despite its pretence of tolerance, is quite ready to exclude beliefs that do not line up with the pluralist ideology at the core of everything. If you insist on traditional values and beliefs, you run the risk (depending on what your discipline is and how it comes up) of being failed, excluded, expelled or whatever just for that, and these people ARE right to complain about that, even if their science is idiotic (although I'm not saying it IS, either).
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby sqrt[-1] » May 5th, 2008, 1:51 pm

sqrt[-1]
Wardrobian

Postby Shadowland Dweller » May 5th, 2008, 2:19 pm

Shadowland Dweller
Wardrobian

Postby Shadowland Dweller » May 5th, 2008, 2:24 pm

Shadowland Dweller
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » May 5th, 2008, 10:56 pm

Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Tuke » May 6th, 2008, 12:39 am

The thing I dislike about Carl Sagan's atheism is his dishonesty. He always explained the beginning of the universe by saying gases super condensed until they exploded in the Big Bang. He never offered even a suggestion as to where the gases (matter) might have come from and his adoring supporters never required an explanation from him. Why? Because every scientist knows that matter can not come from nothing and nowhere. An Intelligent Designer/Creator is the only explanation for the appearance of the first atom. Atheists have more faith denying the Alpha & Omega than Christians have accepting Him.
"The 'great golden chain of Concord' has united the whole of Edmund Spenser's world.... Nothing is repressed; nothing is insubordinate. To read him is to grow in mental health." The Allegory Of Love (Faerie Queene)

2 Corinthians IV.17 The Weight of Glory
Tuke
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » May 6th, 2008, 1:01 pm

I don't think it would be accurate to say he was dishonest. You may not agree with his view of where the universe came from, but he stated and explained what he believed quite clearly in his books and television series (Cosmos). And was quite consistent with that in his entire life. He was not a Christian, but he was a great scientist in many other ways. He gave people the desire to explore the universe. I think it would be more accurate to say that he was an agnostic instead of an atheist. I remember him saying in an interview that there was nothing wrong with believing in a God as long as you also accept the discoveries and insights of science. An atheist would not say anything like that, though for him the existence of God would require scientific proof. It's pretty narrow minded to reject everything that someone said just because you disagree with their religious views. It's like saying that Beethoven's music is not acceptable because he was not a Christian, or that Jefferson, who was a deist, had nothing to contribute to our American way of life . Isn't such an extreme view kind of silly?

Larry W.
Last edited by Larry W. on May 6th, 2008, 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Does science make belief in God obsolete?

Postby Karen » May 6th, 2008, 1:07 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby alecto » May 6th, 2008, 3:20 pm

Sentio ergo est.
alecto
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » May 6th, 2008, 4:44 pm

Sagan, whether one agrees with him not, inspired people to love science and astronomy. The book and movie Cosmos did this in a way that no other science documentary could have. I wonder if many Christians could be as successful in promoting a love and awe of God's creation. Someone who isn't a Christian may do more to help you to appreciate God's creation than some people within the church who have an exploitive attitude towards nature.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Tuke » May 7th, 2008, 12:07 am

Last edited by Tuke on May 7th, 2008, 1:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The 'great golden chain of Concord' has united the whole of Edmund Spenser's world.... Nothing is repressed; nothing is insubordinate. To read him is to grow in mental health." The Allegory Of Love (Faerie Queene)

2 Corinthians IV.17 The Weight of Glory
Tuke
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy