This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Expelled

Postby alecto » May 24th, 2008, 12:49 pm

Sentio ergo est.
alecto
Wardrobian

Re: Expelled

Postby alecto » May 24th, 2008, 1:05 pm

Sentio ergo est.
alecto
Wardrobian

Postby Tom » May 24th, 2008, 11:24 pm

Yes. The balloon method is a great way to illustrate the phenomenon. I've tried it before. It's cool.

The hyperspace idea I haven't heard before unless it's the multiverse idea which I found very appealing for the same reason I like CSL's idea of the "wood between the world" in "The Magician's Nephew." I don't know whether there's strong evidence for it, however.
Regards, Tom
Tom
Wardrobian

Re: Matter and Time

Postby Tom » May 26th, 2008, 3:36 pm

Tom
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » May 26th, 2008, 10:15 pm

Hi Alecto,

Can anything be reliably said about the total momentum and energy of the universe?
“And turn their grief into song?" he replied. "That would be a gracious act and a good beginning."

Quid and Harmony: a fund-raising project for the Fistula Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. www.smithysbook.com
AllanS

Postby alecto » May 27th, 2008, 2:56 pm

Sentio ergo est.
alecto
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » May 27th, 2008, 9:49 pm

“And turn their grief into song?" he replied. "That would be a gracious act and a good beginning."

Quid and Harmony: a fund-raising project for the Fistula Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. www.smithysbook.com
AllanS

Postby alecto » June 1st, 2008, 12:48 pm

Sentio ergo est.
alecto
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » June 1st, 2008, 11:42 pm

I agree about fractals!

It seems to me that if net momentum is zero, so is net energy. If there's no mv, there's no mc2 either. Creation ex nihilo is a tempting conclusion, tho this assumes energy and momentum are the rock-bottom realities, and how could we possibly know that? One of the few things I do know, however, is that absolutely nothing can come from absolutely nothing. If the big bang happened, it happened in a context of some unimaginable kind. This must be an infinite context for two reasons. First, there can be no limit placed on the unimaginable :) Second, if nothing can come from nothing, something has always existed. Some form of absolute existence must be a given. (I think Julian of Norwich had it right with her vision of Christ holding the universe in his hand: "Behold all that I have made.")

Speaking of which, if an all-wise God played a game of chess on a board containing an infinite number of squares, we would never see a move occur unless God himself placed us at the relevant spot. The probability of any move happening close to us would be zero if left to chance. ie. All empirical knowledge is divine revelation.

If we did find ourselves at a spot where action was occurring, most moves would appear random. Some flurries of activity would strongly suggest design, but others would equally suggest a lack of design.

AllanS

Postby Tom » June 3rd, 2008, 3:57 am

Tom
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » June 3rd, 2008, 6:06 am

AllanS

Postby Tom » June 3rd, 2008, 12:46 pm

Tom
Wardrobian

Postby alecto » June 3rd, 2008, 7:54 pm

Sentio ergo est.
alecto
Wardrobian

Postby alecto » June 3rd, 2008, 7:57 pm

Sentio ergo est.
alecto
Wardrobian