This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

ID-entity theft

Postby mitchellmckain » April 24th, 2008, 6:23 pm

mitchellmckain

Postby AllanS » April 25th, 2008, 12:18 am

I play chess with a friend who's very good at the game. He often makes a move that seems pointless to me. Being a bear of small brain, I can find no method in his madness, but he still wins the game.

IDers imagine they have the intellectual horsepower to perceive the designs of God, and finding this design, they believe. Ironically, their opponents often share the same ludicrous assumption. They also think they're smart enough to perceive God's design, and failing to find it, they disbelieve.

Believers are too small to judge if the universe is designed by God, but unbelievers are smaller still. They will not even hope it is.
“And turn their grief into song?" he replied. "That would be a gracious act and a good beginning."

Quid and Harmony: a fund-raising project for the Fistula Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. www.smithysbook.com
AllanS

Postby Karen » April 25th, 2008, 1:25 am

Allan! How nice to see you. How are you? How's the next book coming?
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » April 25th, 2008, 2:00 am

Hi Karen,

The sequel's nearly done (tho full-time teaching has thrown a spanner into the works.) It's called Songs of the Night, and tells of Toh's tragic expedition into the wilds of the north 50 years before the events in QandH. I hope to get it out sometime this year, but we'll see.

Re. the project, we've send some $30000 over to the hospital in Ethiopia, per kind courtesy of Quid and Harmony and Rotary International. Nearly half-way there in eight months... not too bad.

Sigh. I really should be marking some papers...

Cheers.
“And turn their grief into song?" he replied. "That would be a gracious act and a good beginning."

Quid and Harmony: a fund-raising project for the Fistula Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. www.smithysbook.com
AllanS

Postby Karen » April 25th, 2008, 12:55 pm

That all sounds wonderful.

We now return you to your regular thread.... :smile:
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Kolbitar » April 26th, 2008, 10:34 am

The man who lives in contact with what he believes to be a living Church is a man always expecting to meet Plato and Shakespeare tomorrow at breakfast. He is always expecting to see some truth that he has never seen before. --Chesterton

Sober Inebriation: http://soberinebriationblog.blogspot.com/
Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » April 26th, 2008, 11:46 pm

Last edited by postodave on April 26th, 2008, 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » April 26th, 2008, 11:56 pm

So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » April 27th, 2008, 6:38 am

I, however, am impressed by Lewis's argument. I think postodave's analogy merely reflects the increasing sophistry of the modern world due to pluralism and a general denial of truth (See the last paragraph of the last chapter of Heretics). That's where the word 'sophistication' comes from, after all. But Lewis is still 'spot on', as the Brits seem to say. (a little better than 'dead on', I suppose)

I keep saying, "Read 'The Everlasting Man!'" "Read 'The Everlasting Man'!" But heck, no one ever listens to me... :wink:

Oh, yeah, and Happy (Eastern) easter, you guys!
Christ is risen!!!
(Hint: the response is, "Indeed He is risen!!!")
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » April 27th, 2008, 6:48 am

AllanS

Postby Kolbitar » April 27th, 2008, 10:45 am

The man who lives in contact with what he believes to be a living Church is a man always expecting to meet Plato and Shakespeare tomorrow at breakfast. He is always expecting to see some truth that he has never seen before. --Chesterton

Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby Kolbitar » April 27th, 2008, 10:50 am

Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby alecto » April 27th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Sentio ergo est.
alecto
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » April 28th, 2008, 12:35 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » April 29th, 2008, 7:29 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy