This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Who Are Your Favourite Philosophers?

Who Are Your Favourite Philosophers?

Postby Neil K » May 31st, 2008, 12:15 am

Just thought that, since this is forum is called 'Religion, Science and Philosophy' and that the first two of these get most of the attention, that I'd just see which philiosophers people here look to for wisdom, inspiration, etc.
'Between my finger and my thumb / The squat pen rests. / I'll dig with it.' - Seamus Heaney, 'Digging'
Neil K
Wardrobian

Aristotle's Poetics

Postby Tom » May 31st, 2008, 4:44 pm

Tom
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » June 1st, 2008, 1:18 am

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Mary » June 1st, 2008, 4:13 pm

Pooh. All the way.

Most real "Philosophers" :beatnik: are gusting bags of wind. Swoooosh!
Mary
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » June 1st, 2008, 5:34 pm

So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Postby Lioba » June 1st, 2008, 8:18 pm

I read a lot of the existentialists in school, it was interesting, but it didn´t really touch me.I didn´t know why, but Ialways got the impression, that their was something queer in Sartre himself.
The Germans-Kant, Schopenhauer, Jünger, Nietzsche maybe interesting for foreigners- I see the difficult aspects of our national character in them.
Consolation I can not find in them.
Romano Guardini and Seneca are my Favorites for personal reading , and I did a bit reading in Aristotle,Thomas and Pieper since last year.
Iustitia est ad alterum.
Lioba
Wardrobian

Postby Tuke » June 1st, 2008, 8:50 pm

St. Paul is my favorite non-Divine philosopher. He certainly wowed the Epicureans and Stoics on Mars' hill at the Areopagus. "To The Unknown God ..." Acts XVII.18
"The 'great golden chain of Concord' has united the whole of Edmund Spenser's world.... Nothing is repressed; nothing is insubordinate. To read him is to grow in mental health." The Allegory Of Love (Faerie Queene)

2 Corinthians IV.17 The Weight of Glory
Tuke
Wardrobian

Postby moogdroog » June 1st, 2008, 10:18 pm

moogdroog
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » June 2nd, 2008, 7:04 pm

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » June 2nd, 2008, 9:11 pm

So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » June 3rd, 2008, 8:35 am

Most liked: Aristotle, Albert Camus, C. S. Pierce, Scott Peck, Erich Jantsch, Kierkegaard, C. S. Lewis.

(Erich Jantsch, author of "The Self Organizing Universe" might not be considered a philosopher by some people)

Most despised: Whitehead, Plato, Nietzche, Kuhn, Derrida

(I haven't actually read any of Derrida, but he represents the worst of postmodern thought that I very much despise)
mitchellmckain

Postby Lioba » June 3rd, 2008, 9:21 am

:rolleyes:
So my intuitive reluctance towards Satre seems to be justified- same feelings a had regarding Rousseau and Nietzsche.One funny thing - I can easily enjoy the old philosophers unto Seneca, but
from then on I really prefer the Christians, because I cannot understand, why people should behave as if their was no answer in Christ.
Iustitia est ad alterum.
Lioba
Wardrobian

Postby Roonwit » June 3rd, 2008, 6:08 pm

I am surprised that he hasn't been mentioned but my absolute all-time favorite has to be Soren Kierkegaard. I try to incorporate him in my philosophy class as much as possible.

Others include:

St. John Chrysostom
Rudolf Otto
Plato

Of course there are the apologists:

C.S. Lewis
Anselm of Canterbury
Augustine of Hippo
The moral of the story is not to listen to those who tell you not to play the violin but stick to the tambourine.
-- Jose Mourinho

Member of the 2456317 Club
Roonwit
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » June 3rd, 2008, 8:27 pm

mitchellmckain

Postby Lioba » June 3rd, 2008, 8:38 pm

Iustitia est ad alterum.
Lioba
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy