This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

well, that just about raps it up for creationism....

well, that just about raps it up for creationism....

Postby Neil » June 11th, 2008, 7:04 pm

There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
Neil
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » June 11th, 2008, 7:11 pm

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby alecto » June 11th, 2008, 9:14 pm

Richard Lenski scores!

44,000 generations. Six per day, 365 days per year, 20 years. I recreated an experiment like this once, just for 70 generations to see if I could pick up the effect of natural selection. I barely got it. Selection effects dominate for about 1000 generations, when you are basically killing off any bacteria that don't have the right genes to do well under pressure.

Lenski just has the bacteria dealing with their own overpopulation. After a few hours (about 6 generations) the bacteria have reached the carrying capacity of their environment and are starving for the rest of the day, until you take 1 percent out and put them into a brand new beaker with food. I actually added a specific stressor: salinity, and tested for ability to grow in salinity. Lenski is measuring all kinds of changes.

For the next few thousand generations, bacteria change more slowly because of recombination producing more beneficial gene complexes.

Here, at 44,000, they got their first paradigm shift, the creation of a new gene complex. To do this requires multiple steps, which is what they want to go back and look at by analyzing the frozen generations. It's not a "slot machine" where they just got lucky to get the right combinations of genes. There will be a set of intermediate states and a pathway between them - exactly the kind of thing that some (but not all) ID theorists say is impossible.

This experiment involved twelve discrete populations over 20 years. Natural bacteria work in a partly continuous world. Hypotherically, all water bodies are connected so the bacteria are in one "beaker" but because of time of travel constraints, they are not a single population. We're probavly talking about thousands to millions of times the repetitions of Lenski's experiment in space and a hundred million times in time, in order to get the breakthrough of something like photoreceptors. There may be a billion steps, too, a billion useful intermediate forms between rock chewing basic biochemistry and light sensitivity.

This has been one of the most important ongoing experiments, but by itself it certainly does not close any cases. However, it may eke out some general information on the transition of a genome through intermediate states to some important consequence, which may ultimately allow us to estimate the time required for certain changes without resorting to "hand-waving".
Sentio ergo est.
alecto
Wardrobian

Postby john » June 12th, 2008, 3:16 pm

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby Mornche Geddick » September 10th, 2008, 4:18 pm

Mornche Geddick
Wardrobian

Postby Robert » September 15th, 2008, 6:56 pm

[I am] Freudian Viennese by night, by day [I am] Marxian Muscovite

--Robert Frost--
Robert
Wardrobian

Postby Jservic2 » September 18th, 2008, 5:46 am

Interesting read. Excuse my lack knowledge on the subject but what is keeping this trait from being a long held recessive trait that has just not been seen till now?

Paraphrasing Eustace: "Oh I thought stars were giant balls of gas floating out in space"

"That is what they are made of, but not what they are."
hmmmm
Jservic2
Wardrobian

12,347 pieces of unexplained evidence . . . ?

Postby larry gilman » September 28th, 2008, 1:24 pm

larry gilman
Wardrobian

Re: 12,347 pieces of unexplained evidence . . . ?

Postby rusmeister » September 29th, 2008, 1:00 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby larry gilman » September 29th, 2008, 9:17 pm

larry gilman
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » September 30th, 2008, 12:31 am

Last edited by rusmeister on October 3rd, 2008, 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » October 2nd, 2008, 10:22 pm

So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » October 3rd, 2008, 2:36 am

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » October 3rd, 2008, 9:10 pm

Hi Russ

Perhaps we are more in agreement than I thought. Like you I see a philosophical problem here but my problem is not with evolutionary theory as such but with materialism. By materialism I mean the kind of worldview that sees matter/energy in some form as being the only final reality and sees all other kinds of laws and properties as being in some sense derivative. In that kind of view evolution becomes not only a biological theory but a theory of everything. Now I think it is interesting to poke around looking for evolutionary explanations for aspects of human psychology but this may also miss some vital truths.

I got into an interesting conversation about this kind of thing with a friend who had studied biology and done a lot of human dissection. He was talking about the discomfort people feel in the presence of a dissected corpse. He asked me whether I thought we would have such a taboo other than for religious reasons. I said surely yes because animals react with fear in the presence of violent death. That must I said be part of their evolutionary programming. Yes, he responded, it would be a warning there is danger about, a flight instinct.

So evolution can go a long way to explaining the taboos human beings feel in the presence of a corpse. We can see why such an instinct would have a survival value. We can only guess how that survival value became entangled with religious ideas about death. But I think we can say that these taboos were stronger in paganism than Christianity. I think Lewis really speaks as a pagan rather than a Christian when he sees overcoming this taboo in order to dissect a body as a bad or dangerous thing. It was under the influence of Christianity that people escaped this largely pagan taboo and medical science was able to advance (an account of this is given in Starkey's 'For the Glory of God')

But I think there are some aspects of death that can only be explained in religious terms, and so I will grant some validity to Lewis's reservations about dissection. For if we begin to think of life only as a more or less accidental property of matter, then there is a danger that we somehow lose the sense of a person as a person, and I think the abiding Christian sense of death as something wrong or abnormal is a true insight. This is not just an organism that has ceased to function, it is a person who has been lost to us. I'm thinking with my pen here, a good time to stop I think.
So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » October 7th, 2008, 4:32 am

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy