This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Wright on Colbert

Wright on Colbert

Postby Karen » June 16th, 2008, 3:13 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Re: Wright on Colbert

Postby mitchellmckain » June 16th, 2008, 9:46 pm

mitchellmckain

Postby Karen » June 16th, 2008, 10:16 pm

The Colbert Report is a show on Comedy Central which follows John Stewart's The Daily Show. Stephen Colbert does a riff on TV figures like Fox's Bil O'Reilly. It's very, very funny.

Anyway, I'd be interested to know what your reactions are to Wright. While I don't agree with everything he writes, I'm thrilled by his understanding of Jesus and Paul in the context of 2nd Temple Judaism, and his emphasis on our living as people of God in anticipation of the fullness of the kingdom to come. One of his most important points, which he makes in Simply Christian and elsewhere, is that "heaven is important, but it's not the end of the world"; in other words, that the end of the story for Christians is God's renewal of all creation, which we will experience in our resurrected bodies, not the intermediate state of being with God, disembodied, in heaven. He's trying to get us away from the modern emphasis on individual salvation (important though that is) to understand the bigger picture, as told in the whole narrative sweep of Scripture.

If you'd like to read more of his writings, here's a website:
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » June 17th, 2008, 6:06 am

mitchellmckain

Postby Karen » June 17th, 2008, 1:02 pm

Karen
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » June 17th, 2008, 9:30 pm

Lewis said once that Jesus resurrected body could pass through closed doors not because he was less solid than them but because they were less solid (less real) than him.
So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » June 23rd, 2008, 10:10 am

member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Jservic2 » June 25th, 2008, 3:49 am

Jservic2
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » June 25th, 2008, 2:14 pm

You can see the show here: . The interview starts about 13 minutes into the show.

- Dan -
"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » June 25th, 2008, 3:24 pm

Karen
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » June 25th, 2008, 10:14 pm

So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy