This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Pew survey on Religion in America

Pew survey on Religion in America

Postby Karen » June 23rd, 2008, 8:19 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Carrie » June 23rd, 2008, 10:37 pm

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." Phil 4:13

Member of The 2456317 Club
Carrie
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » June 24th, 2008, 1:46 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Tuke » June 24th, 2008, 1:53 am

"The 'great golden chain of Concord' has united the whole of Edmund Spenser's world.... Nothing is repressed; nothing is insubordinate. To read him is to grow in mental health." The Allegory Of Love (Faerie Queene)

2 Corinthians IV.17 The Weight of Glory
Tuke
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » June 24th, 2008, 9:16 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Tuke » June 24th, 2008, 12:06 pm

Last edited by Tuke on June 24th, 2008, 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The 'great golden chain of Concord' has united the whole of Edmund Spenser's world.... Nothing is repressed; nothing is insubordinate. To read him is to grow in mental health." The Allegory Of Love (Faerie Queene)

Tuke
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » June 24th, 2008, 1:04 pm

Great post, Karen!

Actually, I'm not surprised by the data. For example, Catholics are over 70% and mainline Protestants even higher--no surprise considering how large a role both groups have played in initiating interfaith dialogue.

I'm also not surprised to see that Jews are at 82% and 89%. Deed thoroughly outweighs creed in Judaism :pleased:

And, of course, Hinduism and Buddhism are both known for their religious pluralism, so no surprise on their high percentages.

But I wonder how one of these questions played out. So many Jews don't believe in an afterlife--Reconstructionist Jews, for example, have even removed references to an afterlife from their liturgy--so what do you do with the first question? And does that question even make sense in the context of most of Buddhism? Or Hinduism, for that matter, where the goal is not eternal life, per se, but reunification with the divine?

An Orthodox Jew would have no problem answering that first question. She would say yes and quote the Talmud: "The righteous of all nations have a place in the world to come." But what do you say when you're not so sure there is a world to come?

I suppose you just consider the spirit of the question and say yes--but, really, this is a very Christian-centric poll!
JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby Roonwit » June 24th, 2008, 1:17 pm

The moral of the story is not to listen to those who tell you not to play the violin but stick to the tambourine.
-- Jose Mourinho

Member of the 2456317 Club
Roonwit
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » June 24th, 2008, 2:57 pm

Here are some other results from the survey:

92% of Americans believe in God
This includes 60% who believe in a personal God and 25% who believe in God as an impersonal force
74% believe in heaven and 59% believe in hell
58% of Americans pray daily

Most Americans believe their scriptures or sacred texts come directly from God
This includes 89% of Evangelicals, 86% of Muslims, 62% of Catholics, 37% of Jews, 37% of Hindus and 18% of Buddhists

I do wonder how some of the questions were phrased. 79% of Catholics believing that other religions can lead a person to heaven seems a bit high. I wonder if they include other Christian churches as "other religions". That would make that 79% stat (as well as the 57% of Evangelicals) look more realistic to me.

- Dan -
Last edited by Anonymous on June 25th, 2008, 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » June 24th, 2008, 3:04 pm

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » June 24th, 2008, 3:08 pm

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » June 24th, 2008, 4:56 pm

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Roonwit » June 24th, 2008, 5:38 pm

The moral of the story is not to listen to those who tell you not to play the violin but stick to the tambourine.
-- Jose Mourinho

Member of the 2456317 Club
Roonwit
Wardrobian

Postby Tuke » June 24th, 2008, 10:23 pm

Hmmm, interesting. I only mentioned Greek because I ignorantly assumed they would be more numerous and easy to find in America.
Father Sergius Clark, a chaplain at our local hospital, gave me a free American Bible Society Bible which had the Apocrypha so I could read it, so I really should return the favor by visiting his Orthodox Church. ST-JUSTIN-MARTYR.ORG

Tuke
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » June 25th, 2008, 1:52 am

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy