This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

"I'm a Christian, but I never go to church"

Postby Pete » June 25th, 2008, 11:30 am

Member of The 2456317 Club

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby wigworld » June 29th, 2008, 4:11 pm

IIRC, the alpha course puts it like this: we are like coals in a fire - if we are in a fireplace with a lot of other hot coals, we will stay hot for a long time. If we are removed from the fireplace, we will cool down very quickly.
The church I attend encourages discipleship - I have someone who disciples me in my walk with the Lord, and in turn I disciple another believer. Although possible, I think this would be harder to operate outside of a Church environment, in terms of accountability and so on.
I've always found Church to be a bit of a roller coaster, and I would expect anyone who participates actively in Church to find it the same. Paul wrote Colossians 3:12-13 for a reason!
David
wigworld
Wardrobian

Postby dritterpunkt » July 8th, 2008, 10:53 pm

dritterpunkt
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » July 8th, 2008, 11:38 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » July 9th, 2008, 12:46 am

Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby dritterpunkt » July 9th, 2008, 9:10 am

dritterpunkt
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » July 9th, 2008, 1:07 pm

Member of The 2456317 Club

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby dritterpunkt » July 9th, 2008, 3:03 pm

thanks for your right words! I think it's all correct, my post showed a way too simplicist view on church. I just try to explain how this happened: I think I still have a hard time combining all these community aspects of the life as a Christian with our generally very individualist way of life in society. I guess I was just looking for a way to "justify" my lazyness in that matter, and I agree with you both that this is just not possible because Church is like you said much more. But so far I must say, I have been more comfortable in churches when I'm there solitary. I would go there to calm down, contemplate and pray. And I would receive great satisfaction from doing this because all of this was triggered by my very own will/desire. When I was going to church I went there because it was a kind of social rule. And when went out of the church after service I wouldnt feel as emotionally effected and inspired as I experience now when I go there on my own.

I still agree with you that I must be missing out on the community aspect but this way it seems to work for me better? All praying that is done alone is worth so much more because there is no way of it being fake, it is the most sincere form of communication to God. I am a Lutheran and that's also an aspect I remember very well from my education as a child.
But yeah, I, no doubt understand this can't be all, there would be no Community of Believers if everyone was only exercizing their faith solitarily (or would there maybe still be such?)

I am struggling a lot to find my place in all this.. I'm looking forward to receiving that book, recommended by Karen. Thanks for that already! I like this forum :]
dritterpunkt
Wardrobian

Postby warren_piece » July 9th, 2008, 8:04 pm

warren_piece
Wardrobian

Postby hammurabi2000 » July 12th, 2008, 11:49 am

hammurabi2000
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » July 29th, 2008, 10:37 am

It's kind of sad to see a large church building such as the one I attend when it is half empty during the worship service. I remember the days (not so many years ago) when the same pews were crowded. But even having a good pastor and special music doesn't seem to make much difference in the number of people attending. I think the attitude toward church attendance has changed in recent years. It is no longer seen as mandatory or essential, something that C. S. Lewis would have disagreed strongly with. For the most part, people make their own solitary religion, which Lewis believed does encourage spiritual growth like a group experience.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby archenland_knight » August 12th, 2008, 6:13 pm

Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
archenland_knight
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » August 12th, 2008, 6:23 pm

Thanks for bringing that up. I know of some people who claim to be sincere Christians but have no desire to attend church. Hebrews 10:25 does suggest that should be mandatory for those who can attend, which I think, includes most believers.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy