This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

How should a Christian live?

How should a Christian live?

Postby robsia » August 6th, 2008, 11:01 am

robsia
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » August 6th, 2008, 12:39 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby john » August 6th, 2008, 1:31 pm

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby Karen » August 6th, 2008, 2:26 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » August 6th, 2008, 2:29 pm

robsia
Wardrobian

Postby john » August 6th, 2008, 2:32 pm

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » August 6th, 2008, 6:13 pm

Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Lizinka » August 6th, 2008, 9:56 pm

The lady in the article says that she wanted to find out what it really meant to be a Christian, and whether or not it has a place in the modern world. That is a good starting point! But then she goes about this in a very strange fashion, in my opinion, by having different mentors from different sort of churches, and by living by all those rules, for as short a period of time as three weeks!

First, I believe that three weeks with a TV-team isn't the best way to find out about Christ (though it could well be one way of course), and secondly I didn't recognize all those rules at all, and I was brought up by Christian parents.

I don't know who missed the point or where, but I doubt I could have been made into anything so completely different from my original view of life in less than a month, especially not with cameras all over the place! Not if it comes from the outside. Change from the inside is another matter altogether.
Lizinka
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » August 7th, 2008, 3:25 am

Are there people who actually think Christianity is about how many TVs or cellphones you have? This is ridiculous!

It's about a relationship with God first of all. Talking to Him, and trying to know Him better. Then it's your priorities and your relationships and how you treat people, how you react to life, the decisions that you make, that shows that there's been a change in your thinking. That your inward self is beginning to reflect God's thinking, and God's desires are becoming your own.

For instance, a good parent might want their child to watch less TV. A worthy thought. But a Christian parent wants the child to watch less TV so that their perspectives are based on God's rules, not on the world's flimsy boundaries.
There's an entirely different motive, and that could apply to lots of different situations like in that article. (One would hope,) Christians are seeking for purity in God's eyes, and not for the world's approval.

The bottom line is... that lady didn't really want to seek God. She wanted an interesting TV show that would be controversial, and at the end she could say she tried it and didn't find God and didn't think Christianity is modern. She won't find what she isn't looking for. Sad, really, how people deceive themselves.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » August 7th, 2008, 7:16 am

Well, let's look at this from a slightly different perspective.

First and foremost, being a Christian is about having a personal relationship with Christ.

But as that can't be faked and this lady doesn't have that, what else is there. To an outsider, what are the hallmarks of a 'Christian' lifestyle? How does it differ from a non-Christian's lifestyle?
robsia
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » August 7th, 2008, 2:15 pm

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Re: How should a Christian live?

Postby Ben2747 » August 7th, 2008, 6:59 pm

Ben2747
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » August 7th, 2008, 10:40 pm

I am glad that I don't have to "Christianize" other people or their homes. It's the Lord who does that, and He gives people the desire to follow Him. So their is no need for me to force anyone over to my faith. If atheists volunteer to live like Christians maybe they will become believers through doing so. If some believers want to hold a "Christian BBQ" let them do it at their own house and invite (not require) their neighbors to come. There's nothing wrong with that since they would be the hosts, and non-Christians would get a free meal. :smile:

Christians aren't always perfect people. They can sometimes be tiresome and overbearing just like everyone else. Just like non-Christians, there are not only congenial and hospitable people among them as well as those who have poor manners. But don't judge them too harshly for being human. Wouldn't C. S. Lewis have agreed with that?

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Tuke » August 8th, 2008, 7:53 pm

"The 'great golden chain of Concord' has united the whole of Edmund Spenser's world.... Nothing is repressed; nothing is insubordinate. To read him is to grow in mental health." The Allegory Of Love (Faerie Queene)

2 Corinthians IV.17 The Weight of Glory
Tuke
Wardrobian

Re: How should a Christian live?

Postby robsia » August 8th, 2008, 8:39 pm

robsia
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy