This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Place for Gandhi in Indian Bible

Place for Gandhi in Indian Bible

Postby Dan65802 » August 12th, 2008, 3:51 pm

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » August 12th, 2008, 4:15 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » August 12th, 2008, 4:25 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » August 12th, 2008, 4:30 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » August 12th, 2008, 4:36 pm

I guess my take on this is: What's the problem?

As far as the pictures of Jesus, Mary and Joseph--look, if you can have pictures of Jesus with blond hair and blue eyes in every card shop, why complain about Jesus & family in traditional Hindu dress? :thinking:

And I don't understand why it would be a problem to quote from Hindu Scripture. I have a well worn copy of the Bhagavad Gita--in fact, I have several translations--and the Upanishads (again, several translations.) And some devotional stuff to Vishnu. They sit quite close to my Hebrew Tanakh & Torah plus the various translations I own. I have copies of the New Testament too--in Greek and English. And other world Scriptures as well.

And, ah, yeah--we have Yoga and meditation services at my synagogue in addition to our traditional services :toothy-grin:

The only reason I hold the Jewish Scriptures higher than the rest is--well, for some reason Judaism resonates with me deeper than any other religion. I've always admired Hinduism greatly, but I also knew that it wasn't my path. Which is not to say that I can't experience the presence of God at a Durga Puja celebration. It's just to say that, however arbitrary this might sound, I belong in synagogue and God expects to find me there :wink:

But I've no problem regarding the Vedas and the Gitas as divinely inspired in the same way I view my own tradition's Scriptures as divinely inspired. I'd expect certain standards of textural criticism, lol, just as I do for my own Scriptures...but, again, the reason I follow Judaism and not Hinduism does seem kind of arbitrary. One's not better than the other. (And one's not better than Christianity or Buddhsim, etc., either.)

Lastly--Hindu culture is quite accepting and embracing. The Hindus I know have no problem celebrating Durga Puja, going to Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve, joining a Seder with their Jewish friends, and breaking a Ramadan fast with their Muslim friends. Both the religion of Hinduism and the culture seem, to me, profoundly pluralist. I think it'd be crazy for an edition of the Bible intended for India not to respect that fact...

Is the intent of this Bible to missionize? I don't approve of missionizing--except to missionize people into becoming Star Trek fans, of course-- but if Christians feel they must, surely it's better that they do so while respecting the dominant religion and drawing insights from it (rather than simply dismissing or denigrating such a rich spiritual tradition, I mean.)
JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » August 12th, 2008, 4:46 pm

(Karen, if you hadn't replied so darn quickly, I might have had time to correct that horrendous collection of letters that appears to be some kind of variation of the word "whistling" in my post without any record of it having been otherwise)

(And I admire the restraint that must have been exercised in your reply. Can I just hand you this contribution for 10 tickets to the Pedant's Society Orphan Fund Ball here by the side of the Internet freeway offramp and we can be on our way without any nasty penalty fees being reported?)

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » August 12th, 2008, 5:06 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » August 12th, 2008, 5:13 pm

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » August 12th, 2008, 5:17 pm

Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » August 12th, 2008, 6:00 pm

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » August 12th, 2008, 6:24 pm

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » August 12th, 2008, 6:38 pm

Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » August 12th, 2008, 6:49 pm

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Re: Place for Gandhi in Indian Bible

Postby Tuke » August 12th, 2008, 10:39 pm

"The 'great golden chain of Concord' has united the whole of Edmund Spenser's world.... Nothing is repressed; nothing is insubordinate. To read him is to grow in mental health." The Allegory Of Love (Faerie Queene)

2 Corinthians IV.17 The Weight of Glory
Tuke
Wardrobian

Postby Mornche Geddick » September 10th, 2008, 4:12 pm

Mornche Geddick
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy