This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Luther and the new look on Paul v Christianity and Judaism

Postby postodave » August 23rd, 2008, 8:50 am

So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » August 23rd, 2008, 5:21 pm

postodave
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » August 23rd, 2008, 6:24 pm

I was going to add a seventh point though it does not really belong with the others because it is more philosophical rather than theological.

7. Much of the difference between religions is like the difference between languages. A great deal of it is simply the aribtrary use of a different set of sounds or symbols for the same thing. This does not mean that the differences are not real or that they are somehow all saying the same thing -- far from it -- for it is my experience with languages that you simply cannot say the same thing in different languages. Furthermore I think that different language have different premises about the world built into them. Nevertheless despite the differences, different languages do perform the same function of communication.

Insisting that everyone be the same religion in order to be saved may be a lot like insisting everyone speak the same language in order to communicate. To some degree, insisting this is thinking that others can only be saved the way that we have been saved and doing that puts ourselves in the position as the author of their salvation, which is a foolish thing to do. However I do not intend this number 7 to be taken in any absolute sense as if a person in one religion cannot learn anything from a person in another relgion. For that is not the case. But I think that we must understand that this requires a translation process like that between languages so that what people learn from religious dialog is not going to anything like what the other participants intend to teach. We must let God be the architect of this process.

Another aspect of this analogy, however, is that it does not advocate trying to embrace all the religions at the same time or trying to mix them all together any more that you would do that with different languages. On the contrary it suggests that although we might broaden our horizons by learning the ways of different religions, there is no reason why we should not continue in our commitment to our own religion in the same way that we continue speaking (and thinking in) our native language.
mitchellmckain

Postby postodave » August 23rd, 2008, 7:53 pm

postodave
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » August 23rd, 2008, 9:22 pm

Last edited by mitchellmckain on August 24th, 2008, 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
mitchellmckain

Postby JRosemary » August 24th, 2008, 12:40 am

Last edited by JRosemary on August 24th, 2008, 1:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » August 24th, 2008, 1:04 am

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » August 24th, 2008, 1:29 am

mitchellmckain

Postby postodave » August 25th, 2008, 7:54 pm

postodave
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » August 26th, 2008, 6:42 pm

Last edited by mitchellmckain on August 27th, 2008, 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
mitchellmckain

Postby JRosemary » August 26th, 2008, 6:49 pm

Hey Mitch & Postodave,

I'm crazy busy at my job at the moment, so I won't have time to answer these posts until (possibly) late tonight. However, Mitch, I notice you quoting me as saying:

"Basically the only reason I can imagine someone taking an attitude like that is in order justify their own exclusivist attitudes no matter..."

And the quote breaks off there. That doesn't sound like me--can you put the whole quote down so I can see what the heck I wrote--or am alleged to have written? I don't remember that one...

~Rose
JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » August 26th, 2008, 10:44 pm

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » August 27th, 2008, 9:48 am

mitchellmckain

Postby JRosemary » August 27th, 2008, 12:17 pm

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » August 27th, 2008, 5:44 pm