This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Agnostic Evangelism

Agnostic Evangelism

Postby Amy » October 14th, 2008, 7:29 pm

Amy
Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip. ~Will Rogers
Amy
Wardrobian

Re: Agnostic Evangelism

Postby john » October 14th, 2008, 8:00 pm

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby gameld » October 15th, 2008, 2:00 pm

this is not too terribly uncommon. a lot of people who become honest christians often find themselves assaulted by their family to be just about anything else.
also, recently, bill maher came out with a movie called "religulous" in which he attempts to point out the foolishness and worthlessness of religion (all religions but especially christianity, closely followed by judaism and islam). i found it disappointing in that bill is obviously an intelligent man but couldn't see his own prima facia and so couldn't ask honest questions of believers.
of course i was also disappointed by some of the believers who just sounded like idiots.
in the end it is necessary that you learn to be able to argue against these things but you also need to know how to control the argumentativeness that often comes with it (as is my trouble). 1 peter says that we should always be ready with an answer for anyone who asks us, and phillipians tells us to have our speech seasoned with grace. it's a difficult balance but it can be obtained (despite a still-strong argumentative streak i have toned down a lot in the past few years).
gameld
Wardrobian

Postby archenland_knight » October 15th, 2008, 4:42 pm

Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
archenland_knight
Wardrobian

Postby gameld » October 15th, 2008, 5:29 pm

gameld
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » October 15th, 2008, 6:15 pm

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby alecto » October 15th, 2008, 10:13 pm

Sentio ergo est.
alecto
Wardrobian

Re: Agnostic Evangelism

Postby Amy » October 16th, 2008, 12:52 am

Amy
Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip. ~Will Rogers
Amy
Wardrobian

Postby Amy » October 16th, 2008, 12:56 am

[quote="gameld"]this is not too terribly uncommon. a lot of people who become honest christians often find themselves assaulted by their family to be just about anything else.
also, recently, bill maher came out with a movie called "religulous" in which he attempts to point out the foolishness and worthlessness of religion (all religions but especially christianity, closely followed by judaism and islam)./quote]

Yes, this is exactly what I mean. It's interesting, because I get the sense that if I'd decided to be Jewish or Muslim, I'd have had similar reactions. The only difference is that their first reaction would have been, "Hey, that's cool!" before deciding I was a religious nut.

What's odd is that I've been a Christian for nearly 20 years now, but they've only started working on me in the last two or three.
Amy
Amy
Wardrobian

Postby gameld » October 16th, 2008, 1:36 pm

Amy said: "What's odd is that I've been a Christian for nearly 20 years now, but they've only started working on me in the last two or three."

this is not terribly surprising. only in the past few years does it seem that the anti-religious have been at their most up-in-arms about it. back in '88 it was more often religious people addressing each other with atheists sitting there feeling like their backs were against a wall (although they felt they had a rather strong weapon, anyways). now they've started the counter attack and are trying to get us against a wall.
gameld
Wardrobian

Postby Amy » October 17th, 2008, 7:54 pm

Amy
Amy
Wardrobian

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy