This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Christian Denominations: Catholic, Protestant, & Orthodo

Postby splashen » November 20th, 2008, 6:30 pm

splashen
Wardrobian

Postby moogdroog » November 20th, 2008, 6:37 pm

moogdroog
Wardrobian

Postby moogdroog » November 20th, 2008, 6:57 pm

moogdroog
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » November 21st, 2008, 12:07 am

mitchellmckain

Postby archenland_knight » November 21st, 2008, 12:47 am

I almost made a comment somewhere else about the Mormons' ability to say "You guys have it all wrong," so kindly and respectfully that you'd never think of getting made at them.

John, do they train for that, or is it just something they pick up in their normal religious instruction?

Also, thanks everyone for not getting mad. (Of course, I haven't read any other threads yet. :rolleyes: ) Even the RCC folks around here understood that I wasn't trying to start a fight, and while they may not agree with me, they at least knew I wasn't trying to insult them personally. That is much appreciated.

Now ... I'm not much of a tea drinker. What kind do you guys recommend?
Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
archenland_knight
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » November 21st, 2008, 12:59 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Lioba » November 21st, 2008, 12:36 pm

Iustitia est ad alterum.
Lioba
Wardrobian

Postby Lioba » November 22nd, 2008, 12:40 pm

^rusmeister:
I really like this quote. I sometimes meet this attitude in the erea of spiritual life.
Obviously it´s rather fashionable to be "spiritually orientated", but it should not be connected to a concrete tradition- except a very strange and foreign and exotic one (what just means, that there is only a method of meditating and a rather diffuse feeling of being connected with the universe and all other aspects of this tradition are left behind )
Whenever you confess that your mystical experiences are related to a concrete background of a religion or church, people draw back.
For me this attitude that Chesterton describes is the opposit of tolerance, it is the end of tolerance.
Tolerance as I understand is to accept that an other person that strives as much for truth as I comes to different answers. We do not persecute or condemn each other, we discuss to find where we go together and where we differ but still I keep my point of view and he keeps his.
But this make-beliefe tolerance or modernity hates the idea that somebody has an opinion at all.
Iustitia est ad alterum.
Lioba
Wardrobian

Postby Lioba » November 22nd, 2008, 12:54 pm

Mitch- I found liquorice tea in a health food store.Good stuff on a cold day but I think I wouldn´t like it so much in summer.
But it´s perfect just now.Back in the warmth, looking out of the window into the white garden and reading a bit of Chesterton.

:coffee:

Want a cup and a snowball?
Iustitia est ad alterum.
Lioba
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » November 22nd, 2008, 4:56 pm

mitchellmckain

Postby Lioba » November 22nd, 2008, 5:42 pm

Iustitia est ad alterum.
Lioba
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » November 23rd, 2008, 4:24 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby cyranorox » November 23rd, 2008, 5:56 am

Pelikan, born outside the OC, and widely acknowledged as one of the top experts on Church history, did become Orthodox.

The old slander about Constantine and the Emperors is a tired old rag. The quote early in the thread that services became less spiritual is pure prot. bunk, likely because the services, when described and developed, were simply less like protestant; they imagine the early services to have been more like theirs.

Rus, for all his annoying rightwing baggage, has it nailed: there is a Church: the Holy Spirit does not work against Himself, in the form of setting up competing churches [effigies of Christ, but not His Body]; Christ saves in and through His Church, and the prayer of that Church for all mankind.

The slander about paganism is easily refuted: just as we did not reinvent a recipe for bread, or make wine by some new process [well, once!], we subsumed the annual festivities set within God's year; we took the jewels of pagan thought, not because they were pagan, but because they were human, and a preparation for the Gospel, and, in the big picture, grown and fostered by God for the purpose of being transfigured in the true Church. We do not worship goddesses, but we know that all that was good in the goddesses was a reflection back in time from the Mother of God. All the dying and reviving gods, all the charm of Orpheus and the extasies of Dionysos, the wisdom of Odin and the attraction of Krishna, are all glints of Christ's reality.

Bad aspects of pagan thought did come in later, for example the idea of the infinite offense requiring infinite payment, from late German pagan thought - but the OC never admitted that.

i like coffee and tea.
I like gunpowder for breakfast....
Apocatastasis Now!
cyranorox
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » November 23rd, 2008, 7:20 am

mitchellmckain

Postby rusmeister » November 23rd, 2008, 9:58 am

rusmeister
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy