This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Christian Denominations: Catholic, Protestant, & Orthodo

Re: Christian Denominations: Catholic, Protestant, & Orthodo

Postby mitchellmckain » December 1st, 2008, 10:38 pm

:snow-frown: .....nothing..... :snow-sealed:
mitchellmckain

Postby Lioba » December 2nd, 2008, 9:34 am

Stanley- where I can agree is the point, that going on as a church always means the risk of dangers, failures- not only or especially in the teachings but in every aspect of the churchs life. Here the stories tell us that God prefers those who dare to go on and act to those who do nothing to avoid mistakes at any cost.This can happen, when groups always try to begin again in the first century and that can surely end in immature groups which are unable to benefit from what Christianity has learned in 2000 years.And those groups might end up in having 20 years of development and making as much mistakes as all the others made before.Refusing developöment is a way of not using what God hass intrusted us with.
But then a good servant has some ideas about how his master wants him to invest his money and it seems that during history all churches sometimes failed here- not because gods Spirit would give contradictionary and confusing advice but because human beings aren´t perfect.
Here all churches shoul have more freedom to have a critical look at themselves.The Catholic church claims the infallibility of the pope when he speaks ex cathedra- not the infallibility of everything that ever was said and done in the church.
Iustitia est ad alterum.
Lioba
Wardrobian

Postby Lioba » December 2nd, 2008, 1:28 pm

:snow-wink: Mitch- their is something you want to say. :lipssealed:

I can only speak for me- if you want to contradict me, I have no problem with it.Just let it out before you explode or get a stomach ulcer. :snow-smile:
Iustitia est ad alterum.
Lioba
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » December 2nd, 2008, 2:10 pm

mitchellmckain

Postby Lioba » December 2nd, 2008, 6:29 pm

:snow-huh:
Iustitia est ad alterum.
Lioba
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » December 2nd, 2008, 8:14 pm

mitchellmckain

Postby Kolbitar » December 3rd, 2008, 11:15 am

The man who lives in contact with what he believes to be a living Church is a man always expecting to meet Plato and Shakespeare tomorrow at breakfast. He is always expecting to see some truth that he has never seen before. --Chesterton

Sober Inebriation: http://soberinebriationblog.blogspot.com/
Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » December 3rd, 2008, 1:00 pm

mitchellmckain

Postby john » December 3rd, 2008, 3:33 pm

You can just cut that passive-aggressiveness with a knife, can't you? :lol:
john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby Lioba » December 3rd, 2008, 9:50 pm

Buit then ,John is it really so important? When their is no God and no Lord Jesus, than all this is nonsense, not worth to mention. But when he exists, than we can surely trust that he is greater than all this struggles. Either way I see no reason to be too upset :snow-smile:
Iustitia est ad alterum.
Lioba
Wardrobian

Postby MotherLodeBeth » December 4th, 2008, 5:29 am

Grew up attending a Presbyteraian church on a small island and have fond memories. Dad was Presbytarian while Mom's family was Lutheran. Like both churches. Then when I was a teen I asked to attend a Catholic boarding school and that was a decent experience, and I even became a Catholic. Still am I guess. Now I attend a 'Cowboy' church which is alot like the Presbyterian/Lutheran in worship. Simple and direct, and no big show. Has a real deep meaning to me and has made me appreciate the intimate relationship I have with the Lord. Its no longer a Sunday thing, but a seven day a week walk. Also attended synagogue for years off and on, because I appreciate the historical significance amongest other reasons.

The Catholic church also has a rich history, and yet I feel they dont 'preach' or teach the Bible, so many Catholics I know where I am at, have no real sense of a Christian walk. Maybe its Vatican 2 that changed so much. Anyway, I love the church I am in now, and would attend mass in the next town that has a church, if only the Priest would speak deeply and for more than ten minutes.

There is a Russian Orthodox church in the next town as well, and its amazing how long their services are and how most attendees stand for hours and hours, whereas many church goers get antsy if the service in their church lasts more than 45 minutes.

~Beth
:~:Am very much like Lucy in that I
am plain but trust the Lord with all
my heart:~:
MotherLodeBeth
Wardrobian

Postby Lioba » December 4th, 2008, 1:15 pm

Mother Lodebeth, I personally experienced that Vatican 2 encouraged bible study in catholic groups. For all other things you wrote- yes everywhere we will find some good things and will miss some other- a visible sign of the brokenness in my eyes.
Iustitia est ad alterum.
Lioba
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy