This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Who's Your Favorite Heretic?

Who's Your Favorite Heretic?

Postby Carrie » November 15th, 2008, 4:13 pm

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." Phil 4:13

Member of The 2456317 Club
Carrie
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » November 15th, 2008, 5:28 pm

So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Postby w4tvq » November 15th, 2008, 9:36 pm

w4tvq

Postby alecto » November 15th, 2008, 9:40 pm

Sentio ergo est.
alecto
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » November 15th, 2008, 10:42 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Re: Who's Your Favorite Heretic?

Postby john » November 16th, 2008, 12:46 am

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » November 16th, 2008, 1:23 am

I have two favorite heretics:

Spinoza--a brilliant philosopher who deserved far better treatment from his Jewish community. (Not that I agree with him straight down the line, but he's still a breathtaking thinker.)

and

Christopher Hitchens--actually, I'm not sure if he counts as a heretic, because very few Jewish communities play the 'heretic' card now-a-days. But I'm sure he takes flack for his atheism (especially for his loud brand of atheism) so he probably counts. Not so much flack from the more liberal branches of Judaism, I'd imagine--at least, I've never heard my Conservative rabbi denounce him--but from the more Orthodox branches.

What I chiefly admire about Hichens is that, back when he was pro-waterboarding and insisting that it wasn't a form of torture, he accepted a challenge from Vanity Fair: undergo waterboarding himself. He did so and completely changed his mind. If that's not torture, he said, then nothing is.

I admire his guts and integrity tremendously--that's why, right now, he's even higher on my list than Spinoza. (Heck, he's higher on my list than lots of non-heretics!)
JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » November 16th, 2008, 1:22 pm

postodave
Wardrobian

Postby w4tvq » November 16th, 2008, 4:21 pm

I don't really see Pike as my "hero." My "hero" would be Thomas Merton. The thread just asked for "favorite heretic," and I thought of Pike because I have walked the same path, the same valleys, and crossed many of the same rivers as he. It is sad that he never found his way out of the desert; it was perhaps more than conincidence that he died in a literal, physical desert, never having found his way out of a spirital one.

I know the darkness that Pike lived with, and thank God every day -- every hour, sometimes -- the Our Lord walked it with me and led me out of it and back into the light. I like to believe, with no evidence to back such a belief, that Pike met Our Lord out in that desert and was carried home, a home he had sought to earnestly and with so little success until then.

Shalom aleichem
Art
w4tvq

Postby Lioba » November 16th, 2008, 6:18 pm

Iustitia est ad alterum.
Lioba
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » November 16th, 2008, 8:09 pm

I hope Pike found his way to God in the end. Did you ever read 'The Transmigration of Timothy Archer.'?
postodave
Wardrobian

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy