This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

A speculation meant to be conciliatory

Re: A speculation meant to be conciliatory

Postby postodave » December 19th, 2008, 12:12 am

I can see where you are coming from Mitch; I ought to after all this time. The difficulty I have is that although you claim to be defending Protestantism it seems to me to be a re-imagining of Protestantism in a highly individualistic and postmodern fashion. You are seeing a significance in the Reformation which would not have been seen by the Reformers.

Let me have another go at explaining what I think sola scriptura does and does not mean and see how far you can travel with me. It does not mean that that scripture is the only authority in matters concerning Christian belief and therefore it is not the case that each Christian is left alone with the Bible to work out the truth for himself. Rather scripture is the only final authority to which the church can refer when determining what is true in matters concerning Christian belief. Hence when Protestants disagreed they did not agree to differ but tried to find common ground - that is what the Protestant confessions are about.

I also find that like many Protestants I share your dislike of state Churches, ironic in an Anglican living in the UK I know, although her majesty the Queen does become a Presbyterian as soon as she crosses the Scottish border. However I would see the events in the time of Constantine a little differently to you. Constantine wanted Christian unity even if that meant doctrinal compromise - he wanted peace in the state - the Nicene Fathers would not acquiesce any more than the Reformers would go along with humanists like Erasmus who wanted as broad an understanding of Christianity as possible. So it was Constantine who was basically inclusivist and the Fathers who wanted doctrinal precision. The aim of the creeds was not to define Christianity but to define true doctrine. The various heresies which the creeds and definition are designed to exclude are still identifiably Christian heresies. But I agree that it is the consensus of the Church through the ages that gives the creeds authority.
So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » December 19th, 2008, 1:42 am

--response deleted--

discussion with postodave terminated.

Maybe I have had it with this forum too.
mitchellmckain

Postby postodave » December 19th, 2008, 6:15 pm

removed
postodave
Wardrobian

Postby cyranorox » January 5th, 2009, 2:27 am

Appears it did not lead to conciliation.
I still think God may bring good fruit out of men committed to error, and general good out of a Church situation that ought never to have been created.
Apocatastasis Now!
cyranorox
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » January 5th, 2009, 9:36 pm

Postodave and I just needed to work things out in private for a while. See the thread "Faith and Knowledge" to see the result.
mitchellmckain

Postby postodave » January 8th, 2009, 5:30 pm

postodave
Wardrobian

Postby Lioba » January 24th, 2009, 10:51 am

As we have no extra-thread for jokes , I post it here, found it in another thread: :wink:

How many Christians are needed to change a light bulb??

Charismatic: Only 1 - Hands are already in the air.

Pentecostal: 10 - One to change the bulb, and nine to pray against the spirit of darkness.

Presbyterians: None - Lights will go on and off at predestined times.

Roman Catholic: None - Candles only.

Baptists: At least 15 - One to change the light bulb, and three committees to approve the change and decide who brings the potato salad and fried chicken.

Anglican: 3 - One to call the electrician, one to mix the drinks, and one to talk about how much better the old one was.

Unitarians: We choose not to make a statement either in favor of or against the need for a light bulb. However, if in your own journey you have found that light bulbs work for you, you are invited to write a poem or compose a modern dance about your light bulb for the next Sunday service, in which we will explore a number of light bulb traditions, including incandescent, fluorescent, 3-way, long-life and tinted, all of which are equally valid paths to luminescence.

Methodists: Undetermined - Whether your light is bright, dull, or completely out, you are loved. You can be a light bulb, turnip bulb, or tulip bulb. Bring a bulb of your choice to the Sunday lighting service and a covered dish to pass.

Nazarene: 6 - One woman to replace the bulb while five men review church lighting policy.

Lutherans: None - Lutherans don’t believe in change.
Iustitia est ad alterum.
Lioba
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy