This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Santa Claus --> God

Please choose the statement that most accurately describes you.

I was taught to believe in both Santa and God -- I believe in God.
45%
I was taught to believe in both Santa and God -- I either don't believe in God, I'm not sure, or I don't care.
3%
I was not taught to believe in Santa, but I was taught to believe in God -- I believe in God.
14%
I was not taught to believe in Santa, but I was taught to believe in God -- I either don't believe in God, I'm not sure, or I don't care.
No votes
I was not taught to believe in Santa or God -- I believe in God.
7%
I was not taught to believe in Santa or God -- I either don't believe in God, I'm not sure, or I don't care.
No votes
I was taught to believe in Santa, but not in God -- I believe in God.
10%
I was taught to believe in Santa, but not in God -- I either don't believe in God, I'm not sure, or I don't care.
No votes
Other (please explain)
21%

Total votes : 29

There ain't no sanity clause

Postby postodave » January 5th, 2009, 10:16 pm

St. Nick like many saints had a remarkable posthumous career. The three balls outside a pawn shop honour him as a symbol of help in times of need - based on the story of the three sisters - however I am fairly sure there would have been no chimney involved - later, pictures depicting this miracle were reinterpreted as the bags of gold looked like heads the story grew up that he had resurrected three boys whose heads had been pickled in brine. He is associated with many stories of rescue at sea and one of these is depicted in a window of our cathedral in Lincoln. Benjamin Britten wrote a cantata about him. Later still in the USA he is combined with a Norse god of plenty to become Santa Claus.
So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Re: Santa Claus --> God

Postby hammurabi2000 » January 24th, 2009, 10:47 am

Good topic this one - I posted on this in 2003. My view is that there s a linkage between the two. Teach young children about Santa and tell him he is true and then do the same about God. One would think it likely that if you later tell them that one is not true will they not come to suspect all statements are untrue. Or do they do that as teenagers anyway with everything?
Wardrobian since 1999
hammurabi2000
Wardrobian

Re: Santa Claus --> God

Postby splashen » January 28th, 2009, 3:26 am

I voted the "other,' so I have to explain:

I believe in God. Santa Clause is based on an actual Saint--St. Nicholas, & hence a servant of the One True God.
splashen
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy