This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The gods on the DC Buses

Re: The gods on the DC Buses

Postby moogdroog » February 19th, 2009, 4:44 pm

Last edited by moogdroog on February 19th, 2009, 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moogdroog
Wardrobian

Postby moogdroog » February 19th, 2009, 4:45 pm

@moogdroog- found it in a catholic german forum

http://www.kreuzgang.org/viewtopic.php? ... 42#p253542[/quote]

Thanks, Lioba. I think my German reading skills are getting marginally better, too! :smile:
moogdroog
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » February 19th, 2009, 4:54 pm

So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Postby john » February 19th, 2009, 4:59 pm

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby moogdroog » February 19th, 2009, 5:01 pm

moogdroog
Wardrobian

Postby john » February 19th, 2009, 5:06 pm

Personally, I see absolutley no difference between a group of atheists publicly stating there is no God, and a group of Christians publicly stating that there is. I see signs all the time, whether on church buildings or people holding them, that state "Jesus is coming" or "You're going to Hell" or "Repent and Believe", etc.

Is that displaying hatred towards non-believers? I certainly don't think so. Even when people stop me in the street, or knock on my door, wishing to enter my home...sure, it's a little annoying, but it's not hatred.

So why is it that when atheists do the same (at a much lower level, I should say), people cry foul and call it "hatred towards all those who do believe that God exists"?

Seriously...all biases aside (if that's even possible)...is it not truly the same thing?
john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby postodave » February 19th, 2009, 5:52 pm

All biases aside, yes. It really ought not to be a problem. You can legitimately ask whether the side of a bus is the right place for either kind of slogan but sauce for the goose should be sauce for the gander. A few years ago here in the UK some wealthy person paid to have 'Jesus Saves' franked on all the letters. The humanist society said this would have been acceptable if the words had been followed by a question mark - perhaps that's the equivalent of 'Jesus Probably Saves'. When this slogan was franked on the mail I remember Ben Elton saying that when an old lady had the letter saying her electricity was being cut off it would be a comfort to see that on the envelope. I suppose you can imagine the same thing with the bus slogan and someone say on the way back from a funeral; it would be ironic at least. Mind you the last funeral I went to the coffin was carried out to the sound of Monty Python's 'Always Look on the Bright Side of Life'
So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Postby matdonna » February 24th, 2009, 7:57 pm

have you tried these?

I can't find it here now, but one I saw posted said "There's probably no dog-- now stop worrying about walkies and get a cat"

:pleased:
matdonna
Wardrobian

Postby MoogieCha » February 28th, 2009, 5:17 am

MoogieCha
Wardrobian

Postby Lioba » March 9th, 2009, 11:32 am

Hi, moogdroog! Do you still enjoy learning German? I can imagine that it is troublesome to get along with "der die das", especially when it is about things. I never understood, why a streetcar in German is feminine and a bus is masculine.
And why atheisme is male ? What brings us back to the discussion.
Under which circumstances can it be seen as a relief not to believe in God?
A rather negative one would be the idea that it might allow a person to live a life witout any ethics. But I don´t think that this is the main thought of humanistic societies or people like Dawson.
Iustitia est ad alterum.
Lioba
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy