This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

"As an atheist, I truly believe Africa needs God"

"As an atheist, I truly believe Africa needs God"

Postby moogdroog » January 8th, 2009, 2:38 pm

When I saw the title of this article, I thought it was going to focus around to be some strange criticism of Africa being 'primitive', and thus more susceptible to Christianity, but I was pleasantly surprised when I found I was completely wrong. A delight to read an article by a) a journalist and b) an atheist that recognises Christianity and Christian outreaches in deprived areas can actually do good.
moogdroog
Wardrobian

Re: "As an atheist, I truly believe Africa needs God"

Postby splashen » January 20th, 2009, 3:48 am

Wow!!! What a fascinating article. Especially in light of all the recent publications by avowed atheists concerning religion.
splashen
Wardrobian

Postby deadwhitemale » January 23rd, 2009, 4:39 am

I applaud good deeds done by anyone, whatever they believe or disbelieve in. But to me, the first and most important question to ask about any religious belief or doctrine is, "Is it true?" not "Is it pragmatically helpful or useful to someone?" I don't want to believe something that's not true, no matter how useful or inspiring or comforting some people may find it. If Christianity is just not true, if there's no God, if Jesus didn't rise from the dead, if there's no Heaven or hell or any afterlife at all, I want to know it, so I can get on with whatever else there is (or isn't). "Let the truth be known, though the heavens fall." For that matter, if Christianity is kind of, sort of true, but salvation is very far from free, and almost no one is really going to be saved, and practically everyone is going to hell, I want to know that too.

DWM
"It is when we try to grapple with another man's intimate need that we perceive how incomprehensible, wavering, and misty are the beings that share with us the sight of the stars and the warmth of the sun." -- Joseph Conrad, Lord Jim(1899?)
deadwhitemale
Wardrobian

Postby archenland_knight » January 23rd, 2009, 2:50 pm

Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
archenland_knight
Wardrobian

Postby Bluegoat » January 23rd, 2009, 6:14 pm

Bluegoat

Postby splashen » January 24th, 2009, 12:34 am

I do see your point, deadwhitemale, however, the reason I applaud this atheist's article on Christianity in Africa, is because in recent years, we have seen a whole slew of atheist publications, bent on seeing Christianity--& religion as a whole--being totally eradicated from the world.

So, it is kind of refreshing to see at least one atheist acknowledge the good that Christianity has done for humanity.
splashen
Wardrobian

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy