This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Change of mind from better to worse...

Re: Change of mind from better to worse...

Postby Brian » March 2nd, 2009, 2:34 am

Been out of town most of the last week on a business trip and with limited time to commment on posts. Without referencing individual posts - some comments on thoughts expressed:

Polycarp's statement I referenced in original post was directly related to his being called to renounce his faith at the time of his martyrdom in AD 155. When I commented on my own desire to honor Christ regardless of external circumstances, it was within this context. I still stand by this statement because easy external circumstances can be just as much a hindrance to active faith in Christ as persecution can be.

As mentioned in other posts - Divorce is a messy topic. Like many in western society today (in my case the USA) I am a child of divorced parents with adultery as the catalyst. I will not divulge which of my parents were guilty of this sin. Take my following comments for what they are worth.. maybe not much, but here I go:

30 years on from the event - I am convinced more than ever that Biblical Scripture is right when Jesus said that Moses allowed divorce due to hardness of hearts. One parent's heart had hardened toward the other and led to unfaithfulness. While the short term effect of the one parent's leaving the house was somewhat of a relief, the long term emotional effects were not very good for any of us left at home, including the custodial parent. I realize that physcial abuse has its own dynamics and the Lord does not condone it either. Physical abuse was not material to my family's situation. At the same time, it was through that time that the Lord drew me back to himself while still a teenager and has led me to this point in my life. It truly has been the Scriptural affirming of 'making beauty from ashes'. Christ did it at Polycarp's martydom and I pray Christ continues to do this in my life.
In Christ alone,
Brian

Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry. Mark Twain
Brian
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » March 2nd, 2009, 11:09 pm

So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » March 3rd, 2009, 2:41 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » March 3rd, 2009, 10:32 pm

postodave
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » March 13th, 2009, 2:11 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Bluegoat » March 13th, 2009, 11:45 am

Bluegoat

Postby postodave » March 13th, 2009, 11:19 pm

postodave
Wardrobian

Postby Bluegoat » March 14th, 2009, 7:02 pm

[/quote]
I would be very interested in hearing more.[/quote]

There are two things really, not actually very exciting. One is a proposal for a counseling service through our church, though not church run in any way - that has been given to the parish council. It would be "spiritually focused" but not specifically Christian. So I have been thinking about that.

The other is that I have been thinking about the counseling my dad gets, which I'm not sure is very helpful. Unfortunately because of the way our health service is, he gets it from the psychiatrist that monitors his meds, which I don't think is ideal. I have been trying to think what other options there might be and how I could stick my nose in what is not my business without being inappropriate. Through his church is one option, but since he is a total pagan, I'm not sure if it would do much good either.
Bluegoat

Postby postodave » March 14th, 2009, 10:32 pm

postodave
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy