This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The Rosary

The Rosary

Postby Lioba » March 23rd, 2009, 6:59 pm

Does anyone of you use the rosary in service and personal devotions?
and is it true that their áre different rosaries- I don´t speak of different prayers used with the rosary -but different rosaries, I heard for example of an orthodox and an anglican rosary.
Iustitia est ad alterum.
Lioba
Wardrobian

Re: The Rosary

Postby moogdroog » March 23rd, 2009, 8:13 pm

I try to pray the Rosary on a daily basis, and it is one of my primary ways of approaching God, alongside Eucharistic Adoration. It is a very beautiful prayer. It has enormous depth - depth and meaning I can't comprehend. Praying the Rosary allows you to be led to Christ by the hand of the one who knew him best - His mother.

The Rosary is quite a common prayer (and prayer tool) for Catholics. I think it originated around the fourth century, and so is common to the Orthodox and Catholic church, although I think they differ slightly in structure, and some of the prayers said at the beginning and end. I also think the Rosary is more common to Roman Catholics than Orthodox, but I am unsure on that. It is interesting to note that the method of praying on a rope, or beads, is common to many different faiths and religions - I think the repetitive nature of counting knots or beads helps with meditation.

It is also a surprisingly 'difficult' prayer (at least, I find it so), in terms of maintaining concentration, and consistently focusing on the scenes for meditation.
moogdroog
Wardrobian

Postby moogdroog » March 23rd, 2009, 8:19 pm

Here's a link to an Anglican Rosary: . It looks to be quite a beautiful form of contemplative prayer, and something Protestants and Catholics could easily pray together.
moogdroog
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » March 24th, 2009, 4:50 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Lioba » March 24th, 2009, 9:43 pm

Thank you for all your open and heartfelt answers! I used to to pray the Rosary in the form created by the German Lutheran Highchurch- movement, the so-called " Christusrosenkranz" Rosary of Christ . It invocates Christ only [ Praised be the Lord the Almighty and Merciful, son of God and Mary -followed by the mystery- We adore and bless you Lord Jesus Christ through your Holy Cross you saved the World- glory to...]but the rest is like the old Rosary, but now I find more peace and comfort in the original Rosary. I neither get the feeling that the repetitions are mere babble nor that Blessed Mary takes away the honour that is to Jesus. Much of what you expressed I experience myself.
A blessed evening to you (and a little german for moogdroog :smile: )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO5IZsBi ... re=related
Iustitia est ad alterum.
Lioba
Wardrobian

Postby wondawomen » July 3rd, 2009, 10:38 pm

During a very difficult time in my life (loss of my grandson), my sister sent me a rosary. We are protestant but heard the rosary being prayed during the funeral. The grief was the worst pain of my life. My sister and I used the rosary in prayers and it was such a blessing. I still use it during prayer; not always the same prayer just as something to bring my thoughts to prayer and keep away distractions. It is a wonderful blessing.
We love, because He first loved us.1John4:19 NASB
wondawomen
Wardrobian

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy