This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Usury and the financial crisis

Usury and the financial crisis

Postby Bluegoat » April 22nd, 2009, 7:11 pm

I've been thinking about prohibitions against usury and the financial crisis. Any thoughts?
Bluegoat

Re: Usury and the financial crisis

Postby postodave » April 23rd, 2009, 10:27 pm

It's something I've often wondered about. I know the Christian economist Michael Schluter thinks the usury ban should still apply and so does Prabhu Guptara who is a Hindu disciple of Christ. Unfortunately I'm not an economist so here are some links
http://www.sydneyanglicans.net/media/au ... _interest/
http://wakeupfromyourslumber.blogspot.c ... erest.html
http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:G6 ... clnk&gl=uk
http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:Yu ... clnk&gl=uk

If any of that grabs your interest you might like to glance at the work of Bob Goudzwaard
http://www.allofliferedeemed.co.uk/goudzwaard.htm
Especially as I recall some of the stuff in Aid for the Overdeveloped West
So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » April 23rd, 2009, 11:31 pm

Many devout Muslims do not borrow or lend money for interest. For example, some Islamic communities have mutual funds and other investment instruments that do not derive any income from interest. And I've heard that they make interest-free loans available within their communities for buying homes.
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby deadwhitemale » April 25th, 2009, 10:44 am

I must live in the world as it is. I have almost always made a point of paying everyone everything I owed them, with interest, if any interest was due. "Oh, I pay, I always pay," was a sort of motto of mine, plagiarized from Rafael Sabatini's fictional pirate, Doctor/Captain Peter Blood (who, for a pirate, was uncommonly scrupulous about keeping his word and paying his debts, including ransoms and bribes). But it would go against my own conscience to ever lend money at interest. On the other hand, if my checking account or savings account draws any interest, is that usury also? :undecided:

DWM
Last edited by deadwhitemale on April 26th, 2009, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is when we try to grapple with another man's intimate need that we perceive how incomprehensible, wavering, and misty are the beings that share with us the sight of the stars and the warmth of the sun." -- Joseph Conrad, Lord Jim(1899?)
deadwhitemale
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » April 25th, 2009, 6:12 pm

Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » April 25th, 2009, 9:21 pm

Well, I take dwms point. These products barely exist. There are things we can do - for example we can get involved with Credit Unions - but I don't think we can be too purist about this. Even among Christian economists I don't think there would be a lot of agreement about this. But maybe it will be like fairtrade and take off at some time. I remember when fairtrade meant trying to drink awful coffee and tea bought from reps in local churches but now it is in supermarkets and coffee bars and most people know about it. At least they do here in the UK.
So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Postby deadwhitemale » April 26th, 2009, 4:40 pm

"It is when we try to grapple with another man's intimate need that we perceive how incomprehensible, wavering, and misty are the beings that share with us the sight of the stars and the warmth of the sun." -- Joseph Conrad, Lord Jim(1899?)
deadwhitemale
Wardrobian

Postby Bluegoat » April 26th, 2009, 10:22 pm

As I understand it, a bank account accruing interest is one of the main examples of usury, because we gain the interest while taking no risk. On the other hand, a venture capitalist who gets a dividend isn't really committing usury - he is an owner.

I found this very interesting article about Chesterton and the Catholic Workers movement - I found his definition of capitalism to be especially interesting.

Bluegoat

Postby Leslie » April 27th, 2009, 10:41 pm

Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Bluegoat » April 28th, 2009, 10:43 am

A few years ago there was a fellow who did a study, developing a personality profile of a corporation, treating it as if it were a person. What he found is that the corporation behaved as a psychopath. The main players in our economy, even bigger than governments, are corporations, and I think that the kind of behavior that we see from corporations fits the profile of a person with no morals. I don't think it's that the people within them are like that, but something about the structure of a corporation does not allow the ethical and moral imperatives of individuals to be taken up into the action of the corporation.

I think Chesterton is right when he says capitalism is not a system where there is private property, but rather a system where a few people have most of the capital and the rest are dependent on them.

He suggests a Christian system would involve every family having enough property to support themselves, but not much more. What is interesting about this to me is that it is very similar to what many Christian groups such as Mennonites do, and they find it is indeed the best system for maintaining a Christian lifestyle. They also do not borrow from banks, but rely on money lent by the community, without interest.

Here in Nova Scotia the co-op movement has traditionally been very strong, and was started by a Roman Catholic priest. Many of them are for specific trades like fishermen, but there are lots of co-op grocery stores and credit unions. Credit unions are of course still part of our financial system, but I am thinking of leaving my bank and joining one instead. There philosophy is much more in line with my own values.
Bluegoat

Postby warren_piece » April 28th, 2009, 4:57 pm

if i am earning interest at 3% and the rate of inflation is 5%, am i really accruing interest?
we live with a monetary system far different from the one of biblical times. we currently live with a fiat system that, at the very least, negates the question of usury in regards to interest earned.
everything around us is almost inherently based on some sort of borrowing. heck, look at our governments. our governments are either engaged in loaning or borrowing (or both) on a massive scale (in relation to their gdp). i see no escape from usury or interest.
without interest (at the very least) any money we 'saved' for retirement would be worthless by the time we got around to spending it.
warren_piece
Wardrobian

Postby deadwhitemale » April 28th, 2009, 6:33 pm

The Captain: You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal. -- Fahrenheit 451 (1966)

" He [Chesterton] suggests a Christian system would involve every family having enough property to support themselves, but not much more."

:??: :stunned: Well, I like a great deal of what Chesterton said, but I do not consider myself obliged to slavishly and unquestioningly go along with every particular thing he ever thought or said.

Who, exactly -- what commissar or "czar" or "people's committee" will decide for us -- for every family (or individual) -- how much we need -- how much is "enough" -- to support ourselves? Who will enforce this equality, and how?

I sincerely believe that I myself have special and specialized needs in housing, clothing, equipment, and transportation, which no elected official or appointed bureaucrat could ever anticipate, and which I doubt more than a few hundred members of the human race could even begin to understand. It would cost a lot too. If someone says I ask too much, I reply, "Fine, but without what I need to work with -- to do the work I was put here for -- it will not be done. At least not by me. As Gandalf said when implored to start a fire during the blizzard on Mt. Caradhras, 'I cannot burn snow. I must have something to work with.' "

DWM
deadwhitemale
Wardrobian

Postby Bluegoat » April 29th, 2009, 11:44 am

Bluegoat

Postby nomad » May 4th, 2009, 3:12 am

member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Bluegoat » May 4th, 2009, 11:37 am

Bluegoat

Next

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy