This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Perelandra Movie thread

An archived study of the second book of Lewis' theological science fiction Space Trilogy.

Perelandra Movie thread

Postby Stanley Anderson » October 30th, 2004, 6:42 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Re: Perelandra Movie thread

Postby Guest » October 30th, 2004, 7:29 pm

Postby Sven » October 30th, 2004, 7:35 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Guest » October 30th, 2004, 8:30 pm

Postby loeee » November 2nd, 2004, 7:29 pm

Costuming: impossible. There is just no way to do it right. You'd have to put clothes on everyone, and that would change everything.
"You can't go walking through Mordor in naught but your skin."
Put on the full armor of God.
loeee
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » November 2nd, 2004, 9:20 pm

[from loeee]:
>Costuming: impossible. There is just no way to do it right. You'd have to
>put clothes on everyone, and that would change everything.

So you don't think the Tabloid-type TV show technique of using large "square" pixillated areas would work effectively, eh?:-)

But yes, I agree -- that is definitely a difficult hurdle. I think that theoretically, it could be done tastefully, even with the lack of clothes. I suspect most if not all the "revealing" scenes could be done "from the waist up" when necessary without too much awkward filming to avoid the nether regions as much as possible. And though this could still be the source of some untoward titillation, it is the sort of thing that discriminating viewers could get used to. I'm thinking of an Easter Island movie (can't recall the name at the moment) that involved a lot of topless scenes, especially of one of the lead characters. It was initially surprising, but by the end of the movie one was more interested in the story.

And by the way, I'm not at all sure that there wouldn't be a "cinematic" way around the question if a little creative thought were given to it (ha! it suddenly occurs to me to say "in order to avoid the "sin-ematic" aspect:-). Perhaps something along the line that the Green Lady's skin colouring and Ransom's "Piebald" burn, causing enough of a "shadowing" effect that with careful filming techniques might be able to effectively (and not corn-ily) disguise the delicate parts. Not sure, but possible perhaps. (but if it were successful, I could imagine an academy award for "best costuming", given the difficulties involved -- either that or "best editing":-)

But in the mean time, perhaps we can imagine that that particular aspect would not be a problem and consider other aspects of filming a movie of the book.

As a humourous aside, an interesting thought occurred to me that I would NOT recommend, but which I can't help mentioning. I'm thinking of a parallel to The Wizard of Oz where the parts that take place on Earth are in black-and-white while the parts on Perelandra are in colour. This is silly of course, but something along that line might be done. In another of our favourite movies, Enigma, in the director's commentary, he talks about the different film and colour techniques that were used to distinguish the flashback memories from the "real" scenes -- subtle differences that made the colours of one setting "richer" or alternatively more subdued than the other.

--Stanley
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Perelandra Movie thread - chapter 4

Postby Stanley Anderson » November 12th, 2004, 3:48 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Perelandra Movie thread ch 5

Postby Stanley Anderson » December 1st, 2004, 4:56 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » December 1st, 2004, 5:36 pm

Of Frogs and Un-Man

Postby Kanakaberaka » January 18th, 2005, 4:12 am

The thought of how the mutilated Perelandran "frogs" could be visualized with computer animation just occured to me while writing my study of chapter 9 this evening, Stanley. Ransom's reaction to the first wounding would set the stage for general revulsion at the act. Then the camera would pan the island to show the audience another mangled creature and then two and then four more untill the movie screen is filled with the happless animals in their torment. Then of course Ransom follows the bloody trail to find the Un-Man.
so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Re: Of Frogs and Un-Man

Postby Guest » January 23rd, 2005, 8:55 pm

Perelandran Road Kill

Postby Kanakaberaka » January 23rd, 2005, 10:49 pm

so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » January 24th, 2005, 5:35 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » January 25th, 2005, 4:03 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Return to Perelandra