This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Perelandra Chap. 7

An archived study of the second book of Lewis' theological science fiction Space Trilogy.

Perelandra Chap. 7

Postby Kanakaberaka » December 20th, 2004, 3:32 am

Synopsis : Weston confronts Ransom and the Green Lady, accusing Ransom of seducing the native woman. Ransom's heart sinks when Weston speaks to the Green Lady in the Old Solar language. Weston pulls out a pistol when Ransom trys to follow the Green Lady off the fixed land. But it's only Ransom he's interested in, not the Lady. What follows is dialogue between Ransom and a newly spiritual Weston. Their talk ends abruptly when Weston's spirits don't like the way the conversation is going. It is obvious that Dr. Weston is possesed by evil spirits.

After the Green Lady leaves the scene we are introduced to a whole new Weston. He's just as arrogant as ever, but now he has discovered the spiritual realm. This discovery came while Weston was convalesing from the perilous voyage home from Malacandra. This sounds to me like a parody of the conversion of Ignatius Loyola, the founder of the Jesuits. After Loyola was seriously wounded in battle he passed the time while healing by reading books on the life of Jesus Christ and other theological themes. Considering the warped sense of spiritualism professed by Weston, I wonder what sort of books he chose to study. H.P. Lovecraft's "Necronomicon" comes to mind. In fact, considering how Weston speaks of a "...blind, inarticulate purposiveness thrusting it's way upward..." I can't help thinking about blind, mad Chthulu. Weston honestly belives that he has had a revelation. He expects Ransom to be amazed about the notion that "God is a spirit", as if it were something new to Ransom. Ransom rebuffs Weston by telling him that he worships God because "He is wise and good". there is nothing worthy about simply being a spirit. The biggest difference between Ransom's orthodox faith and Weston's New Age beliefs is their view on the fall of humanity. Weston belives that devils are really imperfect spirits rather than evil ones and that given enough time they will evolve into more mature spirits or what we call angels. Ransom of course knows that the devils are in fact angels who have fallen from the Grace of God. Weston goes on even further, claiming that in truth there isn't any real difference at all between good and evil. How he can go on to claim a spiritual kinship with Ransom is beyond me. I suspect it has something to do with the fact Weston wants to "enlighten" simple Christians about what he belives are larger truths.

Ransom hits a nerve when he asks Weston if he would betray his country and friends for the sake of this revelation. And when Ransom agrees with Weston about the need for self sacrifice the demon within Weston shows it's true malevolence first by insulting Ransom and them nearly choking Weston from the inside. For one brief moment Weston comes to his sences and warns Ransom "For Christ's sake don't let them -". This passage gave me empathy for Dr. Weston. It made him more than simply a two dimensional villan. And of course it makes us all wonder exactly who it is Weston is warning Ransom about.
so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Re: Perelandra Chap. 7

Postby Guest » December 23rd, 2004, 11:52 pm

Stanley's comments on Perelandra Chap. 7

Postby Stanley Anderson » December 24th, 2004, 4:37 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Re: Perelandra Chap. 7

Postby Steve » December 27th, 2004, 4:59 pm

I was reading this chapter two days ago, and was fascinated by Lewis' comment about Ransom's monomania "like an actor who cares about nothing except his reputation".

It resonated with the book I have just been reading, Sean Astin's "There and back Again", where all too often, Astin reveals how his feelings were hurt. Although Astin's feelings were not about his reputation in terms of how famous he is with the public, but more his reputation and standing with other actors and Hollywood professionals.

Astin's book does have the balance that as he narrates the tale, he says he was wrong to have had his feelings hurt in these different incidents.
Steve
Wardrobian

May The Force BE With You ?

Postby Kanakaberaka » December 27th, 2004, 8:44 pm

so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

New Age Weston

Postby Kanakaberaka » December 28th, 2004, 9:45 am

so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian