This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Perelandra Chap. 10

An archived study of the second book of Lewis' theological science fiction Space Trilogy.

you've never been in a powder room, I expect

Postby Guest » February 28th, 2005, 2:09 pm

You're quite right, Stanley, I suppose, that people only read the sign-off line once or twice and then ignore it. This is the first time I've read your sign-off and so it struck me with the usual initial blast of Tolkien literary gun-powder. I expect repeated readings would deprive it of its effect.

In fact, I have been finding it rather unsettling in church now that we memorize Bible passages as a congregation. Our Pastor wants us to commt Bible passages to memory should we ever become blind or deprived of Scripture. It seems ilke a good idea, but week after week, chanting the same verses -- the earlier verses in a passage becoming more and more familiar with the more frequent repetition -- seems rather to weaken the overall effect of the words, rather than strengthen them as one might expect.

No, but I always try to keep my powder (and my humour) dry

Postby Stanley Anderson » February 28th, 2005, 3:46 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Re: No, but I always try to keep my powder (and my humour) d

Postby Guest » March 12th, 2005, 5:57 pm

Previous

Return to Perelandra