This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Perelandra Chap. 14

An archived study of the second book of Lewis' theological science fiction Space Trilogy.

Perelandra Chap. 14

Postby Kanakaberaka » July 11th, 2005, 2:27 am

Synopsis : Ransom has a lucky break when he surfaces on a mysterious darkened beach. After strangling the Un-Man to death, Ransom awaits the dawn. But it does not arrive. Some exploring in the dark reveals the beach to be in some sort of cave. His only hope is to climb out in total darkness. After hours of cautious climbing, Ransom finds an illuminated opening in the cavern's roof. Climbing through, Ransom discovers the source of the light is molten lava! To make matters worse, the Un-Man and an giant insect ally have followed him into the volcanic chamber. Ransom does not allow the Um-Man time to say more than one sentence. Ransom dispatches him with a prayer and a rock thrown to the head. The huge insect no longer seems threatening now that the Un-Man is dead (again), and he leaves Ransom in peace. Ransom compleates the destruction of Weston's body by throwing it into the molten lava below.

To me this chapter seems to parallel the burial of Jesus in the tomb. If you think of Ransom's being dragged underwater by the Un-Man a sort of baptism by force, Ransom's escape is into a crypt. It was interesting how Ransom kept thinking of classic literature such as the Iliad and the Odyssey, the Song of Roland, Paradise Lost and even Lewis Carol's Hunting of the Snark to keep sane. It reminded me of a quote by Issac Asimov (I think) that no intelligent person should ever be bored. I suppose having an inventory of the classics commited to memory helps better than re-runs of TV sit-coms.
Weston reminds me of one of those teen horror film villains who can never be killed. Friday the 13th part 25, etc... The oversized bug who no doubt helped the terminaly damaged Weston travel through the cavern was a nice science fiction touch. It explained how such an seriously injured man could travel such an obsticle course in the dark. Ransom made a very casual pray as he hurled the stone at Weston's possesed body - "In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost, here goes - I mean Amen". It's as if Ransom is working in tandem with the Holy Trinty.
Weston's body being burned in the lake of fire seems to reflect the message of scripture about Hell. But instead of eternal punishment, it makes Weston's fate almost a relief - an end to his physical being to finish his usefullness to Satan. Still it saddens me to think of such a man's eternal afterlife. The only consolation is that maybe his mind is out of it's senses and he has no idea what is happening to him.
so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Surprised By Bugs

Postby Kanakaberaka » July 12th, 2005, 12:20 am

so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Re: Surprised By Bugs

Postby Paul_Burgin » July 19th, 2005, 10:21 am

Paul_Burgin
Wardrobian