This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Welcome

One chapter per week study of a book that profoundly influenced C. S. Lewis.

Welcome

Postby Guest » 31 Mar 2005, 18:23

In 1962, The Christian Century magazine published C.S. Lewis's answer to the question, "What books did most to shape your vocational attitude and your philosophy of life?"

#7 was The Consolation of Philosophy by Boethius. A few of us have an interest in exploring this classic and will start this week. We plan to read just 1 chapter per week and this should be pretty easy to do because the chapters are short and seem pretty easy to read. I hope we'll find out what this book is about, see how it relates to and undergirds Lewis' writings, and share insights of our own about the text. This, of course, has nothing to do with professional philosophers just, I suppose, those who like/love C. S. Lewis and desire a deeper understanding of his writings and/or trust him to recommend a good book on philosophy. So, if anyone has any interest at all, please read along and we'll "compare notes."

For those "intrepid ones," we'll go with chapter 1 through Fri., 4/8.

Re: Welcome

Postby Stanley Anderson » 31 Mar 2005, 22:56

rudif wrote:if anyone has any interest at all, please read along and we'll "compare notes."

I would strongly recommend, if one can find the book, to see the last section ("D") on Boethius in chapter 4 of Lewis' "The Discarded Image" (it begins on page 75 of my edition -- I believe the page numbers are common to other editions, but not sure). It will give readers a lot of insight into Lewis' own feelings for the book, I think.

As an introductory comment in that section, Lewis says "Until about two hundred years ago it would, I think, have been hard to find an educated man in any European country who did not love it. To acquire a taste for it is almost to become naturalized in the Middle Ages."

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby magpie » 01 Apr 2005, 17:36

Thanks for your work, Rudif. The books stores here did not have it in stock, so I ordered it today. I will jump into this forum when I get back from my trip. So count me in, but just a tad delayed.
"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
magpie
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » 01 Apr 2005, 20:22

magpie,
I'm so glad you're interested; we'll look forward to hearing from you.
Rudi

Postby Guest » 01 Apr 2005, 20:26

Stanley,
Good idea, I think I'll do that.

Postby Colleen » 05 Apr 2005, 22:54

Hi Rudif and others,

Is there any particular translation of this book that you'd recommend? There is an online version here which I may read as I find time. It was translated in 1902...

In grace,
Colleen
Better is dry bread and fidelity therewith, than a house full of Turkish Delight with betrayal.
Colleen
Wardrobian

Postby Colleen » 05 Apr 2005, 23:01

P. S. I found two other online texts at Project Gutenberg, published in 1897 and 1918 (I think). This is something I'd like to read, so I'll buckle down and compare the three then choose one. One includes the Latin text on alternate pages--any scholars up to reading the original? Not I!

Colleen
Colleen
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » 06 Apr 2005, 00:00

Colleen,
I'm thrilled that you'll be along for the ride! As far as translations, I don't have the knowledge to recommend one over another. Personally, I usually go with the one most recently translated thinking, rightly or wrongly, that I'll be able to understand the most contemporary translation most readily. This little group actually got going from The Medieval Chick asking if anyone had a recommendation for a translation of The Consolation... The following is the only response about a particular trans. that she received:
Karen wrote:I have the Green translation, which as I recall is very readable, but only has a few footnotes scattered here and there. I don't know about the other translations, and I haven't read this one since college, which was a long, long, time ago.

Mine is by P. G. Walsh. Whichever you choose, happy reading and I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of it.
Rudi

Postby Guest » 07 Apr 2005, 21:46

Sigh. I need to get my mind checked. I misread
we'll go with chapter 1 through Fri., 4/8

as "we'll go with chapter 1 for Friday."

I'll have chapter 1 finished by this evening, though. I'm taking a break from reading it now. :)

I have Discarded Image, and that's a great idea, but I think I may wait to read it until I've finished Consolation. I guess it's part of my reflection time.

Just a note on translations: I have V.E. Watts', because that is what happened to be in the bookstore, and his introduction so far is great. (Is anyone else here a compulsive introduction reader? I have to read them...) In my book, anyone who quotes CS Lewis frequently **rocks**.

:)

Postby Zan » 08 Jun 2005, 04:13

Hey all,

I think this is a great thing you guys have setup here. I was wondering rudif, would it be possible if you could send me that list you mentioned in your first post.

In 1962, The Christian Century magazine published C.S. Lewis's answer to the question, "What books did most to shape your vocational attitude and your philosophy of life?"

You said, number 7 was The Consolation of Philosophy by Boethius, which I would love to read with you guys but my lineup is still far too long right now and I need to get a few others out of the way first. :) However, I would love to get a hold of that list for future reference. If you can help, that would be great, thanks!
Zan

"I believe in God like I believe in the sun, not because I can see it, but because of it all things are seen." -- C.S. Lewis

"... the more doors you go out of, the farther you get in!" -- George MacDonald, Lilith
Zan
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » 08 Jun 2005, 19:44

Zan wrote:However, I would love to get a hold of that list for future reference. If you can help, that would be great, thanks!

Welcome, Zan!

I'll take the liberty of answering for rudif.

In 1962, The Christian Century magazine published C.S. Lewis's answer to the question, "What books did most to shape your vocational attitude and your philosophy of life?" Here is C.S. Lewis's list.

1. Phantastes by George MacDonald.
2. The Everlasting Man by G. K. Chesterton.
3. The Aeneid by Virgil.
4. The Temple by George Herbert.
5. The Prelude by William Wordsworth.
6. The Idea of the Holy by Rudolf Otto.
7. The Consolation of Philosophy by Boethius.
8. Life of Samuel Johnson by James Boswell.
9. Descent into Hell by Charles Williams.
10. Theism and Humanism by Arthur James Balfour.

6 June 1962 issue,The Christian Century
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven
Wardrobian

Postby Zan » 08 Jun 2005, 20:45

Thanks Sven! I appreciate it!
Zan

"I believe in God like I believe in the sun, not because I can see it, but because of it all things are seen." -- C.S. Lewis

"... the more doors you go out of, the farther you get in!" -- George MacDonald, Lilith
Zan
Wardrobian

Postby magpie » 06 Jul 2005, 16:43

I have been hesitant to begin another thread on the remainder of Book 1 since no one has responded to the previous thread. It would appear that of those persons who originally showed an interest in a discussion of Boethius I am the only one still active in the Wardrobe. Since it is no fun talking to oneself (or at least I don't think it is), I plan to ask that this forum be locked if there is no further activity by the first of August.
"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

magpie
Wardrobian

Postby john » 07 Jul 2005, 07:24

magpie wrote:I have been hesitant to begin another thread on the remainder of Book 1 since no one has responded to the previous thread. It would appear that of those persons who originally showed an interest in a discussion of Boethius I am the only one still active in the Wardrobe. Since it is no fun talking to oneself (or at least I don't think it is), I plan to ask that this forum be locked if there is no further activity by the first of August.

Anybody is welcome to take the lead on this, if they wish. I just ask that they make themselves known to me so I can be aware of it.

But yes...it's not good to keep this particular forum open when it's not being used. I can lock it anytime, then unlock it once people are ready to resume.
john (aka DrZeus)
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby magpie » 07 Jul 2005, 14:32

DrZeus wrote:
magpie wrote:I have been hesitant to begin another thread on the remainder of Book 1 since no one has responded to the previous thread. It would appear that of those persons who originally showed an interest in a discussion of Boethius I am the only one still active in the Wardrobe. Since it is no fun talking to oneself (or at least I don't think it is), I plan to ask that this forum be locked if there is no further activity by the first of August.

Anybody is welcome to take the lead on this, if they wish. I just ask that they make themselves known to me so I can be aware of it.

But yes...it's not good to keep this particular forum open when it's not being used. I can lock it anytime, then unlock it once people are ready to resume.

I am perfectly willing to continue the lead on this if there are others interested in posting, but that does not seem to be the case right now. Let's just see if anyone else chimes in before August 1, and then lock it if no one does.
M. Scott Peck

magpie
Wardrobian

Next

Return to The Consolation of Philosophy