This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Welcome

One chapter per week study of a book that profoundly influenced C. S. Lewis.

Re: Welcome

Postby Zan » 07 Jul 2005, 15:18

I personally think this is a great idea and would hate to see the forum locked. I am somewhat of a newcomer around these forums so I wasn't around when you started reading Boethius, but I know I would love to join in on your future readings.

I do hope more show interest that way we can keep this going. :)
Zan

"I believe in God like I believe in the sun, not because I can see it, but because of it all things are seen." -- C.S. Lewis

"... the more doors you go out of, the farther you get in!" -- George MacDonald, Lilith
Zan
Wardrobian

Postby Air of Winter » 17 Jul 2005, 04:16

Give me time to get up to speed, and I'll join you. I did read The Consolation, but not recently, and I didn't understand it all well enough to have it stick.
Air of Winter
Wardrobian

Postby magpie » 18 Jul 2005, 18:00

Air of Winter wrote:Give me time to get up to speed, and I'll join you. I did read The Consolation, but not recently, and I didn't understand it all well enough to have it stick.

OK, you're on. In the near future I will post a final thread to finish up Book One, and then see who else bites. But don't consider the earlier threads to be "the last word" on those chapters. Chime in anywhere you please as long as you chime in. As for understanding it, that's why we originally started this thing since we were all somewhat in the dark.
"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
magpie
Wardrobian

Postby boshoven » 26 Jul 2005, 04:14

This is SOOOO Strange... I just bought this book last month... when I get through it I intend to go back through this for more insights.
(But then again... I have a STACK of books to read... and I just bought two more to throw on the stack... "The Crusdaes, Islam and Christianity in struggle for world supremacy" by Geoffry Hindley and "Medeival Swordsmanship" by John Clements

So I will need a bit of friendly prodding to get to starting on it... nudge, nudge, know what I mean?

PAX
Rick
The permanent Identity informs the temporary ones
boshoven
Wardrobian

Postby magpie » 26 Jul 2005, 19:50

boshoven wrote:This is SOOOO Strange... I just bought this book last month... when I get through it I intend to go back through this for more insights.
(But then again... I have a STACK of books to read... and I just bought two more to throw on the stack... "The Crusdaes, Islam and Christianity in struggle for world supremacy" by Geoffry Hindley and "Medeival Swordsmanship" by John Clements

So I will need a bit of friendly prodding to get to starting on it... nudge, nudge, know what I mean?

PAX
Rick

Prod, prod. We are about to start Book 2. Jump on in. As you can see from the threads on Book 1, we have have a bit of a shaky start, but we are now on our way. It's not too late to get on board.
"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

magpie
Wardrobian

Postby Zan » 27 Jul 2005, 00:24

When saying Book 2, are you referring to The Everlasting Man? If so, I need to go pick it up, cause I really want to be a part of this. I actually just used the last of my spending money on two other books, The City of God by Saint Augustine and The Hobbit. So, I hope I get some cash to grab it.
Zan

"I believe in God like I believe in the sun, not because I can see it, but because of it all things are seen." -- C.S. Lewis

"... the more doors you go out of, the farther you get in!" -- George MacDonald, Lilith
Zan
Wardrobian

Postby magpie » 27 Jul 2005, 00:33

Zan wrote:When saying Book 2, are you referring to The Everlasting Man?

No, I was referring to Book 2 of The Consolation of Philosophy which is what this forum is about. There are five books in this work, each book containing a number of chapters which consist of one poem and one prose each. We now have threads for all of the chapters in Book 1, and will be moving on into Book 2 as soon as I get home from a short trip. Since the sections are very short, there is still time for you to get on board.
M. Scott Peck

magpie
Wardrobian

Postby boshoven » 27 Jul 2005, 02:51

Ok, Magpie...
Can I just jump in on book two or will I need to quickly plow through book one first?

Rick

While I'm waiting for a reply I'll just forge ahead into B2
The permanent Identity informs the temporary ones
boshoven
Wardrobian

Postby Air of Winter » 27 Jul 2005, 03:28

I'd say start with Book 1. It isn't so long you'll have any trouble getting through it with fair dispatch. I only started last week.
Air of Winter
Wardrobian

Postby magpie » 27 Jul 2005, 16:11

boshoven wrote:Ok, Magpie...
Can I just jump in on book two or will I need to quickly plow through book one first?

Rick

While I'm waiting for a reply I'll just forge ahead into B2

I am leaving town soon and will be gone until the middle of next week, so you have time before I post the first part of Book 2. It is pretty short reading.
M. Scott Peck

magpie
Wardrobian

Postby Zan » 31 Jul 2005, 21:27

Ah... Finally got my copy of The Consolation of Philosophy! I will get started on it tonight as I am really looking forward to this! Unfortunately, I will only be able to do this for a few weeks though, heading to Peru on a missions trip on August 12, but when I return, I most certainly will jump right back in! :)
Zan

Zan
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to The Consolation of Philosophy