This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Chapter 2

One chapter per week study of a book that profoundly influenced C. S. Lewis.

Chapter 2

Postby Guest » April 11th, 2005, 2:19 am

I'm not quite sure how to approach the book yet, I'm not reading ahead so I'll just feel my way as I go. My impression, so far, is that we've not yet gotten into the ratiocinative (can't believe I'm using that word) portions of the book. It continues to seem to me much like ch.1, a lot of images presented in "poetic" fashion. Nonetheless, these images are very philosophical in nature and seem to be pregnant with meaning; Socrates called himself a midwife didn't he?; no doubt he could give birth to quite a lot from these passages!

I thought that this chapter was also easy to understand. In the poem, it is now Philosophia we hear, not B. She, too, describes B. as having found a new "position" in life. B. is described, again, as "sunk in steep depths below," "into the darkness," "prostrate" (religious significance?), and "downward." Again, this present condition is compared to the life enjoyed before, "Of old he roamed without restraint beneath the open sky," "plumbed," and "scrutinized."

To me, the significance of this "position" can be expressed by saying that there has been a rupture with "everyday life" that opens up the dreadful possibility that life may be seen from a new perspective, from within an abyss. Notice that Philosophia was not with him until this calamity and then, within it, she comes (back) to him. The position is, in a sense, a prerequisite to being open to receive her. And, when she comes, it is to heal. And I notice that B. bears responsibility for forsaking Philosophia; he cast her off, abandoned her. How does she find him? Stupefied. And, in classic philosophical expression, he has forgotten who he is. But all this can be remedied.

I guess all I can say is that I find this description of what is happening as true to life and valid. From a philosophical perspective, I think this is an accurate picture of how life proceeds. The literary figure that comes to my mind is Ivan Ilyich. Ivan found himself in very much the same situation. In fact, the stupefication has Ivan referring to "nothingness" as IT. He cannot even find, in his ordinary manner of speaking, words to describe this horrifying, dreadful, encounter with death. Of course, is not the personal encounter with death the ultimate expression of what Boethius is experiencing?

Re: Chapter 2

Postby Guest » April 15th, 2005, 9:39 pm

Postby magpie » April 15th, 2005, 10:07 pm

This chapter reminded me of something which I had once known but far too long ago forgotten. In her poem, Philosophy makes copious references to Boethius' previous pursuits of what we might today term scientific knowledge. In our modern academic divisions, philosophy and science often seem diametrically opposed, when in fact science was once called "natural philosophy," and what many call philosophy was often called "metaphysics." This unity of knowledge would be born out by the theta and pi on her robe, which Richard Green explains were a reference to the two branches of philosophy, the theoretical and the practical. It also reminded me of the spiritual epiphany which Job experienced when God appeared in the whirlwind proclaiming God's mighty acts of Creation.

The stupification which Boethius expresses seems very similar to the condition of the sinner who is experiencing "conviction" prior to his conversion to new life. I find interesting parallels between this scene and some of the descriptions given by William James in The Varieties of Religious Experience which I am presently rereading.

I am still confused why Philosophy asks whether he is silent from shame or shock. Why is it either/or? Perhaps this is just a rhetorical question, but it seems to me that the two, far from being mutually exclusive, would in this case be complementary.
"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
magpie
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » April 16th, 2005, 9:56 pm

Postby magpie » April 16th, 2005, 10:07 pm

"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

magpie
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » April 20th, 2005, 12:37 pm

Postby coryy » May 18th, 2005, 11:36 pm

coryy
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » May 19th, 2005, 12:15 am

Postby magpie » May 19th, 2005, 2:46 pm

I sent a PM to rudif some time ago wondering if I should go ahead and begin a thread for Book 1, section 4, but he never answered, so I also am waiting in limbo. I am not certain what the procedure is from now on.
M. Scott Peck

magpie
Wardrobian

Postby john » May 19th, 2005, 3:25 pm

I've been informed that Rudi will not be able to continue this.

In that case, somebody will have to PM me with their intention to continue where Rudi left off, or else I'll lock it until it can resume at some future time.
john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Return to The Consolation of Philosophy