This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

I need your opinion

One chapter per week study of a book that profoundly influenced C. S. Lewis.

Should this forum continue?

Finish the book even if there are no replies.
86%
Post new threads only if there are responses.
No votes
Discontinue this forum unless someone requests it.
14%

Total votes : 7

I need your opinion

Postby magpie » 11 Nov 2005, 15:19

Just before I left to care for my mother, Air of Winter sent me a PM informing me that she no longer intends to post in the Wardrobe, and I have received no answer to my request that she reconsider.

I see that these threads are being read by someone, but I am not sure how to continue from here. I am completely willing to post new threads for the rest of the book (after a slight delay while I handle some financial and legal work), but I need your input in this poll.
"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
magpie
Wardrobian

re: I need your opinion

Postby magpie » 26 Nov 2005, 16:19

Well, the decision seems unanimous. All two of you (who elect to remain anonymous) want me to continue posting. But before I begin any new threads, I have a bone to pick with Boethius. I agree that riches, honor, power, fame, and pleasure are transitory and dependent upon the vagarities of Fortune, but I contest the assertion that lasting joy can be found in self-possession.
Then if you possess yourself, you have something you will never want to give up and something which Fortune cannot take from you. (Book 2, Prose 4)
WRONG! It can be taken away.

Boethius was less than 50 years old when he died, but that was a respectable age in an era where the relatively young regularly lost their lives to disease or, in his case, violence. He could never have envisioned a day when civil order and medical advances would enable the body to outlive the mind, a day when the formerly wise would relapse into infancy, a day when we would be forced to watch helplessly as dementia steals the personalities of those whom we love.

I will continue posting thread in this forum, but please be indulgent if you find an occasional typo. I may be proofreading with tears in my eyes.
"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

magpie
Wardrobian

Re: I need your opinion

Postby Sven » 26 Nov 2005, 16:35

magpie wrote:...I see that these threads are being read by someone...

I should mention I'm reading them, just not participating in the discussion.
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven
Wardrobian

Re: I need your opinion

Postby Karen » 26 Nov 2005, 17:35

Sven wrote:I should mention I'm reading them, just not participating in the discussion.

That goes for me, too.
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

re: I need your opinion

Postby iota » 29 Nov 2005, 02:11

I just want to say that I read the Consolation about a half a year ago and it was one of the most amazing books I've ever read. I am new here, but drooling at the thought of a chance to discuss this masterpiece, chapter by chapter. I solemnly swear to actively participate in this discussion if you keep it going! Let me read chapter 11 of book 3 tonight and I'll post a response in the thread below....
iota
Wardrobian

Re: re: I need your opinion

Postby magpie » 01 Dec 2005, 21:02

iota wrote:I just want to say that I read the Consolation about a half a year ago and it was one of the most amazing books I've ever read. I am new here, but drooling at the thought of a chance to discuss this masterpiece, chapter by chapter. I solemnly swear to actively participate in this discussion if you keep it going! Let me read chapter 11 of book 3 tonight and I'll post a response in the thread below....

Good to hear from you. I'll be waiting. :)
M. Scott Peck

magpie
Wardrobian

Return to The Consolation of Philosophy