This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Web resource for TMWWT

A study of a book by GK Chesterton.

Web resource for TMWWT

Postby Tuirgin » 04 Jan 2006, 15:45

To read only children's books, treasure / Only childish thoughts, throw / Grown-up things away / And rise from deep sorrows.
-- Osip Mandelshtam, 1908
Tuirgin
Wardrobian

re: Web resource for TMWWT

Postby Kanakaberaka » 04 Jan 2006, 20:26

Thanks for posting this info., Tuirgin. This is the website where I downloaded my copy of Thursday myself, as well as numerous other Chesterton stories.
so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

re: Web resource for TMWWT

Postby Gabriel Syme » 10 Jan 2006, 18:59

HUGE website Tuirgin!!
Thanks for the link!
I'll be plunging into The Everlasting Man as soon as I finish The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. After reading The Space Trilogy, The Four Loves (both some 9 years ago) and The Magician's Nephew (couple of weeks ago) I feel a bit ashamed for not having read it all yet... :blush:

God bless you all.
In our school, on a wall, there is a big writing, saying «I care». It is the untranslatable motto of the best among young Americans. It means: «I AM interested in it; it is dear to me». That's the exact opposite of the fascist motto, «I don't care». (Lorenzo Milani, priest. Lettera ai giudici; 1965)
Gabriel Syme
Wardrobian

Re: re: Web resource for TMWWT

Postby Tuirgin » 10 Jan 2006, 19:14

Gabriel Syme wrote:Thanks for the link!

Oh, you're welcome, of course.

Gabriel Syme wrote:I'll be plunging into The Everlasting Man...

Oof... gonna do it from the electronic text? It's a pretty lengthy book, with pretty lengthy chapters for reading on the computer. I know some can do it, but I couldn't get through a book of that length without a hard-copy.

AND, The Everlasting Man is good enough that you may find yourself wanting to make notes, underline, exclamation marks, etc.
To read only children's books, treasure / Only childish thoughts, throw / Grown-up things away / And rise from deep sorrows.
Tuirgin
Wardrobian

Postby Gabriel Syme » 10 Jan 2006, 19:39

Tuirgin wrote:
Gabriel Syme wrote:Thanks for the link!

Oh, you're welcome, of course.

Gabriel Syme wrote:I'll be plunging into The Everlasting Man...

Oof... gonna do it from the electronic text? It's a pretty lengthy book, with pretty lengthy chapters for reading on the computer. I know some can do it, but I couldn't get through a book of that length without a hard-copy.

AND, The Everlasting Man is good enough that you may find yourself wanting to make notes, underline, exclamation marks, etc.

I guess you're 100% right about that. *But...*
I have a small problem: I live in Italy, where it can be very difficult to get an English book. Just to give you an idea, when I ordered The Chronicles of Narnia I had to wait 3 weeks (and spend 2 hours on a train) to get it, and I ordered it towards the end of November. I'm sure you'd expect to hear me saying that one of the biggest bookshops in the whole country would have plenty of copies already in the store, as there was already much talking about the coming movie, but no: reality is different here.

Sadly my country is being turned into one of the most ignorant in the world. You know, most people here (including some hi-school teachers of mine...) think they know for sure that The Lord of the Rings is nothing more than a funny book for children only.

So I think I might just start with quick glances at the e-book when I have a calm day at the office.

Now let's see if I managed to use that "quote" button properly... :-)

God bless you all.
Gabriel
Last edited by Gabriel Syme on 10 Jan 2006, 19:47, edited 1 time in total.
In our school, on a wall, there is a big writing, saying «I care». It is the untranslatable motto of the best among young Americans. It means: «I AM interested in it; it is dear to me». That's the exact opposite of the fascist motto, «I don't care». (Lorenzo Milani, priest. Lettera ai giudici; 1965)
Gabriel Syme
Wardrobian

Postby Tuirgin » 10 Jan 2006, 19:44

Ah, well certainly any way possible is better than no way at all!
Tuirgin
Wardrobian

Return to The Man Who Was Thursday