This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Chapter Six

A study of a book by GK Chesterton.

Chapter Six

Postby The Bigsleep J » March 16th, 2006, 7:44 am

Insert supposedly witty but random absurd comment here and add water
The Bigsleep J
Wardrobian

Over a barrel (organ)

Postby Kanakaberaka » March 30th, 2006, 12:29 am

From what I could google, the barrel organ was sort of like a player piano. The tunes played on it were determined by a barrel shaped part which held the musical notes to be played. All the "organ grinder" had to do was turn a crank. I belive the tunes could be changed by switching barrels. I have the impression that Chesterton wanted to convey a sense of the common man with this rather mundane musical instrument. There is something anti-eliteist about an instrument played by an unskilled laborer rather than a talented musician.

Next comes the quote from the Song of Roland. Chesterton mentions the Old French saying : "Pagens ont tort et Chretiens ont droit", which translates : Pagans are wrong and Christians are right. In my humble opinion the original French has more of a ring to it than the simple English translation. Syme, like Roland is taking a stand against what he sees as pagen influence. This does not bode well for Syme since Roland was killed by Saladin. Split in two, as a matter of fact.

Chesterton has us sitting on the edge of our seats as Sunday glares at him during the whole breakfast. When Sunday declares the presence of a traitor we assume the worst. After all, this chapter is entitled "The Exposure". When Gogol turns out to be Sunday's person of interest, we breath a sigh of relief along with him.
so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Re: Over a barrel (organ)

Postby The Bigsleep J » March 31st, 2006, 6:17 am

Insert supposedly witty but random absurd comment here and add water
The Bigsleep J
Wardrobian

Return to The Man Who Was Thursday