This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Chapter Eight

A study of a book by GK Chesterton.

Chapter Eight

Postby The Bigsleep J » April 20th, 2006, 7:20 am

Insert supposedly witty but random absurd comment here and add water
The Bigsleep J
Wardrobian

Style over substance

Postby Kanakaberaka » April 27th, 2006, 5:30 am

The way in which Wilks the actor outdoes the real Professor de Worms at his own game sounds amazingly like a modern talk show. Wilkes confronted de Worms saying "Whenever he said something that nobody but he could understand, I replied with something which I could not even understand myself". It is obvious that de Worm's nihilist followers were more impressed with his attitude than with his philosophy. They no doubt enjoyed hearing the professor rip orthodoxy apart. So when an actor disguised as de Worms tears the professor to pieces, his followers see him as the real professor. Wilks uses non-existant people and fables to reply against de Worm's arguments. I hear this sort of blather all the time on talk radio.

Another thing of note is that after evading the "professor's" inquiry a few times, Syme denies being a policeman three times. That has to be a referance to Saint Peter.
so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Re: Style over substance

Postby The Bigsleep J » May 3rd, 2006, 7:44 am

Insert supposedly witty but random absurd comment here and add water
The Bigsleep J
Wardrobian

Return to The Man Who Was Thursday