This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Closing the doors...

An archived study of the first book in Lewis' theological science fiction Space Trilogy.

Closing the doors...

Postby john » September 7th, 2010, 2:11 pm

Dear members, Wardrobians and friends:

It is with mixed emotion that I make this announcement.

I have decided that it is time to close the doors on the forums.

The reasons are many, with some weighing heavier than others, but basically after 14 years, I'm tired and my heart isn't in it any more. Once that happens, it's time to move on to other things.

On September 30th, I will disable the forum's login system, remove all forums not related to C. S. Lewis, and make the forums read-only. This will create a searchable database of material regarding C. S. Lewis that anybody can use as they see fit. The "community" parts of the forums will be kept, but not made public for privacy reasons. I have not yet decided what to do with those parts of the forums, so If there is anything you wish to keep, it is recommended that you copy and save it. The rest of the Into the Wardrobe web site (that which is not part of the forums) will remain alive and well. Effective today, all recurring monthly Paypal donations are canceled. Donations are still being accepted to help offset the hosting costs, but with the shutting down of the forums, I thought it prudent to cancel existing subscriptions and allow you to decide if you wish to continue to support the site.

I believe the best asset of these forums is the friendships that we have made with one another. I encourage all of you to exchange contact information (via private messages) with those you wish to stay in touch with. Dan Stanley (Dan65802) has graciously volunteered to create a that will serve as an online hub for fans of C. S. Lewis, and a place where Wardrobians can continue to socialize.

There is a in the Caffè, where you are all invited to join in and share your stories and memories, and to say goodbye. If you know any members who haven't been here in awhile, and who may not read this, please let them know. I think cake and root beer will be provided (and perhaps some Vegemite, if we're lucky), though if you want something stronger to drink, you'll have to provide it yourself. ;)

Please know that I did not come to this decision easily. I strongly deliberated handing the reins to another, but all things considered, decided against it. I have devoted 1/3 of my life to the running of this online community, and as difficult as it is say goodbye, I know that it is necessary and the right thing to do. A profound and heartfelt "thank you" to all who have helped make these forums an enriching, enjoyable and educational experience. I consider it a privilege and a pleasure to have been the administrator of such a fine online community. I wish you all the best.

Sincerely,

~john (aka "Dr. Zeus")

PS: Let's keep this thread for any questions regarding the announcement, and use the thread for your thoughts and well-wishing (I have already moved previous comments to that thread). Thanks!
john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Return to Out of the Silent Planet