This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Chapter 4 Study

An archived study of the first book in Lewis' theological science fiction Space Trilogy.

Chapter 4 Study

Postby Kanakaberaka » March 20th, 2006, 1:31 am

Synopsis: Weston's revelation that the glowing orb outside is indeed the Earth knocks Ransom off his feet, literaly. After getting his balance back, he returns to asking Weston all the really important questions. Weston informs Ransom in a brusque manner what sort of vessel they are on and where they are going. A planet within our solar system called "Malacandra" by it's inhabitants. But just which planet it is according to terrestrial science, Weston won't say. Ransom then gets a guided tour of the spacecraft. C.S. Lewis goes into great detail to discribe the feeling of walking on a small metal globe with a larger one overhead to keep the ship's atmosphere in. It's like being able to see over the horizon of our own planet. The doors of rooms ahead appear to be at an odd angle. Untill you walk up to them and them they appear right. After Ransom dons a weighted belt and tinted glasses like Weston, he has dinner over which Weston explians more of his philosophy. Ransom replies that he thinks it mad. Of course Weston is hiding some vital reason for his interplanetary expedition.When Ransom inquires more about the purpose of their trip Weston replies: "I had thought no one could fail to be inspired by the role you are being asked to play: that even a worm, if it could understand, would rise to the sacrifice. I mean, of course, the sacrifice of time and liberty, and some little risk. Don't misunderstand me." But Weston, of course, does not intend to have Ransom understand.
------------------------------

I wonder if Lewis was inspired by the comic strips of the day when he discribed Ransom's reaction to Weston's "punch line". During the 1920's and 30's it was common for comic strip characters to go head over heels (something very easy to do in low gravity) when they found themselves the butt of a joke.

Next comes Weston's techincal explanation about how his spacecraft functions. Of course it's really no explanation at all. And I am sure that's what Lewis intended. Weston's high handed way of dismissing Ransom's classical knowlege is very telling. Hard science is all that matters as far as Weston is concerned. But Lewis does give us a very detailed picture of the appearance of the vessel's interior. In this way Lewis shows that he is knowlegeable of the reality of practical science.

One of my favorite passages just before Weston tells Ransom to stop talking so that they do not use the air supply needlessly is this : "I always thought space was dark and cold," he remarked vaguely. "Forgotten the sun?" said Weston contemptuously. Ransom went on eating for some time. Then he began, "If it's like this in the early morning," and stopped, warned by the expression on Weston's face. Awe fell upon him: there were no mornings here, no evenings, and no night -nothing but the changeless noon which had filled for centuries beyond history so many millions of cubic miles. He glanced at Weston again, but the latter held up his hand.

It shows just how alien the environment of outer space is to an ordinary man. And how gruff Weston is towards ordinary people.

so it goes...
Last edited by Kanakaberaka on March 26th, 2006, 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Original Chapter 4 Comments

Postby Kanakaberaka » March 20th, 2006, 6:36 pm

so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Return to Out of the Silent Planet